Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,644   Online: 779

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Popped the cover off my CPE2 Plus to see what is inside. The motor looks like a fairly typical low voltage DC affair with an integrated worm gearbox - I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to dismantle and lube.
    The thermostat appears to be a simple bimetalic breaker - If this is making a noise, the contacts are likely to be pitted/corroded.

If you are unsure of tackling repairs, it is simple enough that any competent engineer can service it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoojammyflip View Post
    Well, I have collected the CPE 2, and it doesn't work! Unfortunately, because the guy had a low rating, I paid cash, as I did not like the idea of parting with 180 in advance only to see a deleted account and disappearing seller.

I saw the motor working at his house and thought all was fine. I got it home, put some water in it, and at the lowest temperature setting on the thermostat, the water is maintained at 47 degrees C, (as measured using the two thermometers it came with ). Even worse is the motor is now screeching slowly and is clearly missing some lube and about to seize.

It does look absolutely new, the reel inside the 1520 drum is brand new, as if its never been used. I can only assume the motor has gone bad in the guy's attic. I don't think the guy came across as being dodgy when I met him.

I've contacted the guy on the phone to say its not working, but I think he is taking the stance that it was "sold as seen", particularly given I signed his receipt which said as such (although it also says the thing is working which it clearly doesn't). Do I have any recourse against this?

Cheers.
    I have been following the thread over the past few days. I had agreed with those that said the price was in line, and if the item worked-well, if you paid a few shillings more, so be it. Now it appears that you have been "had". I am not sure that there is any recourse...except you do know where the bloke lives I believe, unless you picked up the item in a pub or on the street. You will have to decide how "hard" and how upset you are. You can chalk the transaction up to experience and a hard earned lesson. You can try to contact Ebay, and go from there. Or, you know where the cheat lives and I imagine you have friends who might be able to help you make the case that you were cheated and he really should consider being a nice guy and returning your money. I would NEVER suggest violence associated with the later action of course, but perhaps you might make him an offer that he can't refuse? Let him keep half of the money you paid, and return the other half?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have difficulty reconciling its new almost unused look with the problems you have. It is difficult to fake a new look with heavily used equipment . I have a CPE2 which works fine but didn't look nearly new when I bought it. What I am driving at is that you may not have been deliberately scammed. The CPE2 is not a complicated piece of equipment in electrical terms. It may be that the problem is relatively easily fixed and results from it lying dormant. I'd get an electrician to look at it and give you an opinion. If it is "shot" then you have good grounds for opening a dispute. If it is repairable then you have the grounds for getting a contribution from the seller.

All is only lost from an e-bay leverage aspect if the seller doesn't mind being banned. You can make things really difficult if required. Alternatively if it is clear that the risk of being banned from e-bay does have any effect then I'd check out a Citizens Advice Bureau to see what may be possible at the Small Claims Court.

Giving up or having to resort to other "unconventional/ dubious tactics is a long way off. The seller just needs to realise that you want his recognition that you have a piece of equipment that doesn't meet requirements and some contribution on his part towards a resolution is required.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I sold you that equipment thinking it was in good shape (or even not knowing what kind of shape it was in) I would not give you your money back or any part of it. You did buy it "as is", and knew you were taking a chance.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The sellers description includes....
    variable water bath heat control, with thermostat provides accurate temperature control.
    If that is not the case surely that is reason for a refund or something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure the seller is repeating the Jobo literature to describe the machine - not guaranteeing the performance of this particular machine.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have brought gear from the states and had it shipped all the way here to OZ. I reread the description and If I had any questions I would ask before bidding I check were it was or if broken and how much I'm willing to pay. I have had a few items I've received that were broken. I have communicated with the seller. HOWEVER I CHECK THE DESCRIPTION AGAIN, SOLD AS Most sellers try to help. However I have taken a punt on a piece of equipment sight unseen and have to live with the outcome. I sorry to say you have never been to happy with this deal and seem to want to find fault. Emotions run high in auctions and even EBAY runs this to their advantage by simple comments, also more money for them. Just bight the bullet and try and fix the things. Chalk it up to knowledge and remember how you fixed it. I have sold one piece of equipment that was damaged, this was after a full check by the buyer, I did offer a small amount of compensation, However I buy by the same rules as you and he, I even stated sold as no warranty offered, implied results or expectation from this product are beyond my control.
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the problem you're going to have getting a refund is that you saw the motor running when you went to pick it up and accepted the unit. It'd bite to be in this situation but I'd probably grit my teeth and move on and get it fixed.

Take the top off and look around, could be something obvious if you're lucky.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

From the outset of this thread you've been 110% negative since winning the item ...

There needs to be some realism.

Ian
    Indeed.
    I honestly don't understand your attitude. You bought a used piece of equipment. You tested it, you paid for it. Now you're acting as if you have the god given 'right' to perfection?

It seems likely that the processor has spend years sitting in the guy's attic; I'll bet it's been years since the thing was last plugged in! There is no evidence of malign intent on the part of the seller. Dry motor bearings are 'one of those things' that life is about. I suggest you concentrate on repairing the motor, rather than whining about 'getting ripped off' buy the big bad world.

<End Sermon>
    Flee, puny digicams, flee for your life!
    The mighty Bronicasaurus can smell your fear! ROAAARRR!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    I hope you didn't totally fill the drum as that may be why there is a screeching noise.
    No, I just filled the water bath, to cover the heating element and rollers.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin