Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,464   Posts: 1,570,669   Online: 782

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Popped the cover off my CPE2 Plus to see what is inside. The motor looks like a fairly typical low voltage DC affair with an integrated worm gearbox - I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to dismantle and lube.
    The thermostat appears to be a simple bimetalic breaker - If this is making a noise, the contacts are likely to be pitted/corroded.

If you are unsure of tackling repairs, it is simple enough that any competent engineer can service it.
    Many thanks for investigating. I guess a major advantage with the unit I have is that the sink is in perfect condition. If I cannot get the seller to sort out a refund, I guess these repairs are the way forwards.

Many thanks again for taking the trouble to investigate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    I have been following the thread over the past few days. I had agreed with those that said the price was in line, and if the item worked-well, if you paid a few shillings more, so be it. Now it appears that you have been "had". I am not sure that there is any recourse...except you do know where the bloke lives I believe, unless you picked up the item in a pub or on the street. You will have to decide how "hard" and how upset you are. You can chalk the transaction up to experience and a hard earned lesson. You can try to contact Ebay, and go from there. Or, you know where the cheat lives and I imagine you have friends who might be able to help you make the case that you were cheated and he really should consider being a nice guy and returning your money. I would NEVER suggest violence associated with the later action of course, but perhaps you might make him an offer that he can't refuse? Let him keep half of the money you paid, and return the other half?
    Yep, I collected it direct from his house, but would never resort to anything improper. It does mean I have his address and can write a letter. He is actually a nice guy, but I dont think he had tested the unit out. It had dust and cobwebs in the basin of the unit, which means he had not filled it. I think it was his Dad's.
    Last edited by hoojammyflip; 01-24-2010 at 02:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I have difficulty reconciling its new almost unused look with the problems you have. It is difficult to fake a new look with heavily used equipment . I have a CPE2 which works fine but didn't look nearly new when I bought it. What I am driving at is that you may not have been deliberately scammed. The CPE2 is not a complicated piece of equipment in electrical terms. It may be that the problem is relatively easily fixed and results from it lying dormant. I'd get an electrician to look at it and give you an opinion. If it is "shot" then you have good grounds for opening a dispute. If it is repairable then you have the grounds for getting a contribution from the seller.

All is only lost from an e-bay leverage aspect if the seller doesn't mind being banned. You can make things really difficult if required. Alternatively if it is clear that the risk of being banned from e-bay does have any effect then I'd check out a Citizens Advice Bureau to see what may be possible at the Small Claims Court.

Giving up or having to resort to other "unconventional/ dubious tactics is a long way off. The seller just needs to realise that you want his recognition that you have a piece of equipment that doesn't meet requirements and some contribution on his part towards a resolution is required.

pentaxuser
    Thanks, I agree in that the seller is a totally genuine chap. I spoke to him on the phone last night and am hopeful he will sort the situation out. My wife has been calming me down about this as she came along too, and thought the guy was sound. I trust women's intuition over mine when a situation gets heated.

The drums look absolutely new, and the reel in the 1520 is completely white, as if is never seen chemicals. Not sure about the actual sink, because it has got slight marks around the top as if it was used in the past, and the screws on the top plate look like they have been attacked, but it could also be corrosion. I think he thought he was selling a perfect unit but by his own admission, he had not filled it with water to test the thermostat. However, its pretty much useless when its minimum temperature is 47 C, without being fixed, given I got this in order to do C41 and colour printing.

I checked the CAB webpage per your suggestion and I have protection from the small claims courts on the grounds I was missold (described as having a working accurate thermostat). Plus, apparently, price paid for second hand goods determines reasonable expectation of performance. I think at GBP 180, its reasonable for me to expect the thing to function as its meant to, and as was described.

Fingers crossed, it will be resolved. I have 6 rolls waiting to be developed (alone this costs GBP 48 quid locally with 6x4 prints) and a PCS 2000 and Nikon lens sitting under the stairs waiting to be deployed. The PCS cost me a fiver and the 50mm f4 lens a tenner!

I have just run a quick scan of yell.com for an electrician and there is one around the corner who does repairs...I will give him a buzz on Monday. This fills me with a lot of hope. I was getting very excited about the processor and my heart seriously sank when it didn't work.
    Last edited by hoojammyflip; 01-24-2010 at 08:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    It cost way more when it was new, however, since its out of production and used, its whatever someone is willing to pay in a given place at a given time.

The CPE-2 is out of production, but still offered out of stock by Jobo.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoojammyflip View Post
    he had not filled it with water to test the thermostat..
    One thing to note from the user manual - It says never to run the unit without some water in the bath. You only need a couple of litres to cover the heating element.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a suggestion, but if you find the unit needs a replacement part, a quick drive over to Nova in Warwick may be worthwhile. They've got quite a bit of 2nd hand stuff and various spare parts.

And also a quick welcome to hoojammyflip from a former Leamingtonian!
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Just a suggestion, but if you find the unit needs a replacement part, a quick drive over to Nova in Warwick may be worthwhile. They've got quite a bit of 2nd hand stuff and various spare parts.

And also a quick welcome to hoojammyflip from a former Leamingtonian!
    Thanks, its photogenic round here, but a trip to Skye really got me into the film side of things. Only 35mm at the moment, though. Still, depth of field and lenses etc are all better than my "old" stuff.

I will pop down to Nova, as I am going to need chemicals and I guess that their webpage is not updated as fast as their second hand gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    One thing to note from the user manual - It says never to run the unit without some water in the bath. You only need a couple of litres to cover the heating element.
    Yes, I thought about his comment "it makes a bit of a smell" some more. He had been running it without water for his testing. Still, I dont think that this would have damaged the thermocouple, as its just a piece of wire wrapped in rubber, by the looks of it. Air around the element might cause more trouble as it does not conduct heat as well as water.
    Last edited by hoojammyflip; 01-24-2010 at 08:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    To end this saga, the seller just came and picked it up and gave me my cash back, and said he was going to dump the lot at the tip on the way home. I tried explaining that his new drums are worth a fair bit, but he seemed pretty intent. I thought it would be too cheeky to negotiate a price on the lot, so I didn't bother. Back to ebay for a CPE2, or maybe to SDS who Keith suggested.

Normally, I adhere to a rule of thumb on eBay, limit bidding to 10x the rating of the seller. In this case, I should not have bid, as the guy had only sold 2 items previously, and that was in the previous week. He was asking me about listing musical instruments and I suggested he would be better off selling them to a dealer or enlisting the help of a trading assistant on eBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoojammyflip View Post
    Still, I dont think that this would have damaged the thermocouple, as its just a piece of wire wrapped in rubber, by the looks of it.
    'Thermocouple' as temperature sensor? Running the CPE wihout water will kill heating element. Just like switching water kettle on with no water in.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin