Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,921   Online: 1053

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are many ebay sellers with much higher ratings who wouldn't give you the time of day, much less a refund on something you personally inspected. He might be a new ebay trader, but it sounds like he fully deserves the good ratings he's received so far.
    Good to hear you got through this ok. At least you gained quite a learning experience.
    BTW, welcome to apug!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hoojammyflip View Post
    To end this saga, the seller just came and picked it up and gave me my cash back, and said he was going to dump the lot at the tip on the way home.
    Drive down this afternoon. He may have left it with the electrical waste rather than throwing it into the household rubbish pit. If it's there, you could pick it back up for free!
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Drive down this afternoon. He may have left it with the electrical waste rather than throwing it into the household rubbish pit. If it's there, you could pick it back up for free!
    Yeah, and sell the unit on 'bay as spares, keep the drums :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well that seems like a waste! I once bought a jobo processor where the guy made some modifications witht a new thermostat. I am not technical but it looked like I could have done it. And maybe you could have sold it indeed for spare parts telling the folks what is wrong with it.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    For what it's worth, I think it's perfectly acceptable to negotiate a partial refund. If the seller was going to discard the object out of frustration, he'll likely take anything you'll give him for it. As you said, he sounds like a decent person. The worst you could do was offend him, but if handled tactfully I doubt that would be the case. Just be truthful and make him a fair offer: "I hate to see that thing go in the landfill. It has some useable parts, and may be repairable, but it's not worth our original agreed price." And then make him a reasonable offer. The worst he can say is "no." He may think he's being taken advantage of, but he should defer to your better knowledge of the machine, as he clearly has very little.

You got a lot of rude reactions to your post; people telling you that you had no recourse, etc. Good for you for researching your local laws. "Common law" or "common sense" views of legal issues are often erroneous, at least here in the US.

Good luck, and beware of "AS-IS" auctions. It was fortunate that the seller was local. If it had been an international sale, I doubt you would have gotten such a good resolution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You got off a lot luckier than you deserved.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    I think neither of you got what you deserved. It seems you got a duff CPE2 because in his ignorance he ran it without water. He lost what appears to be a genuine sale and you lost a previously good CPE2. I'd certainly be tempted to go back to him and suggest that all may not be lost.

If the electrician can fix it then simply offer the seller the amount you paid minus the the electrician's charge. Result = both parties satisfied and better off.

If you can, try and obtain an excellent book called "Getting to Yes - Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In" by Roger Fisher and William Ury. It is well worth the read. I recommend it to all our leaders. Our futures may all depend on people wanting to get to Yes.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I think neither of you got what you deserved. It seems you got a duff CPE2 because in his ignorance he ran it without water. He lost what appears to be a genuine sale and you lost a previously good CPE2. I'd certainly be tempted to go back to him and suggest that all may not be lost.

If the electrician can fix it then simply offer the seller the amount you paid minus the the electrician's charge. Result = both parties satisfied and better off.

If you can, try and obtain an excellent book called "Getting to Yes - Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In" by Roger Fisher and William Ury. It is well worth the read. I recommend it to all our leaders. Our futures may all depend on people wanting to get to Yes.

pentaxuser
    The mood was very odd this morning. He called me suggesting he was around the corner and could be here in 10 minutes to give me a refund. Given he lives 40 minutes away, so I thought it would be an idea. He then arrived in 5 minutes, and was very curt and pent up. I did not feel that negotiation of price was in the offing, and the wife is fragile at the moment so I wanted him out of the house. I took the money and checked him leave. I think I will pop him on the "banned buyers list".

I then emailed him instructions on how to get his Final Value Fee back. No thanks from him, but the ebay claim is completed now, so he should be restored to his previous financial position, less a bit of petrol for ambushing me this morning.

Maybe some odd ball down at the dump is wandering around with a Minilux necklace, banging on a couple of drums with orange rings. I would have taken the drums off him, but he insisted he wanted to chuck the lot at the dump. I guess he probably has seen the light, and not binned it all, particularly as I said the 2840 costs over GBP 90 at First call photographic.
    Last edited by hoojammyflip; 01-24-2010 at 11:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by werra View Post
    'Thermocouple' as temperature sensor? Running the CPE wihout water will kill heating element. Just like switching water kettle on with no water in.
    Yeah, you are right, maybe its a bimetallic strip and not a thermocouple which is used to switch the thermostat on and off. Whatever, its made out of metal and won't start melting until it hits pretty high temperatures. So my point was he is unlikely to have damaged the temperature sensor by running the CPE without the water, and it was probably bust already.

However, I reckon the heating element needs a lot of respect on one of these, as its an open water bath. Plus, it looks a lot more fragile than the element in my kettle. If you managed to crack the insulation on the CPE element, the only thing protecting you being lit up like a light bulb is the earth.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Another thing that jarred with me is he said he used to work in a photographic shop...I thought nothing of it at the time, as it appeared genuine. The thought now arises that maybe the unit came from a shop he worked in.

I need to stop thinking about this now. Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Last edited by hoojammyflip; 01-24-2010 at 12:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin