Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,810   Online: 1066

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I think I will pop him on the "banned buyers list".

You can't be serious. You had a contract with this guy to buy his machine. The contract specified the amount and the fact that there were no guarantees or refunds. When you figured the purchase wasn't to your advantage you wanted to wiggle out of the contract. The seller let you do so. What is your problem?
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My goodness. Maybe you should stay away from ebay all together. Your suspicion borders on paranoia, and you wonder why the seller was less than happy to see you again. If the gear ends up in the landfill it's because you put it there. What a waste.

All's well that ends well..you were lucky, and he was honest after all...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you bid that amount it implies you were willing to pay it. Last minute sniping is common, and knowledgeable people often come to about the same opinion of what the top-end value of something is, so the price tends to settle around there.

Quote Originally Posted by hoojammyflip View Post
    Hi, I would really appreciate opinions on pricing of a Jobo CPE 2, which I have just won in an auction on ebay. The price shot to my top bid in the last 10 seconds, at GBP 180. The kit is used but includes a Minilux LED colour light and a couple of thermometers. I saw on the Tim Parkin video that he had paid 150 for his. The seller has a rating of 2, and the other bid came from a bidder who has no history at all. It seems I was shill bidded by a snipe bid. Is this feasible? As a general rule, I believe if you don't know who the loser is, you're the loser...do people think I have overpaid for this. Item number is 200426706130 on ebay.co.uk. Many thanks, I am due to pick this up this weekend.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i'd be kind of cranky when i arrive at your house early too.
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    If you bid that amount it implies you were willing to pay it. Last minute sniping is common, and knowledgeable people often come to about the same opinion of what the top-end value of something is, so the price tends to settle around there.
    Yep, it was agreed further up in the post that the price paid was fair value for a unit in good condition. I sniped the auction at 6 seconds left using Gixen.

This following technique could be employed to ensure a reserve price is met for free, but would contravene eBay regs. I categorically do not condone it.

A person could set up a new and separate ebay account, load up a snipe on a web based sniper, and snipe their own auction. EBay would see that there are two different IP addresses used, and that there is no connection between seller and buyer. Therefore, they would conclude that they cannot prove shill bidding.

This would therefore undermine the value of ebay for buyers, as it guarantees one of two outcomes a) the seller gets the price he wants, b) the seller gets to retain the item, and potentially run the auction again, under a new ebay ID. Statistically, the price distribution would be skewed to the right, with a floor at the shill bid price. Basically, it shafts the buyer. One characteristic would be a sniped bid from an eBay account with no bidding history, as happened here.

I am detailing this for anyone who was unclear at what was implied at the beginning of the post. The issue was whether the auction had been shilled, not a question of value per se. Hence the title of the post "have I been shilled/scammed". I hope this information may help others on the forum, who find themselves in a similar position.

As it is, the whole experience has illustrated that temperature requirements for colour has equipment complications for me, which mean my enlarger will end up doing B&W printing instead, maybe employing a Paterson thermo drum or something of that ilk. Indeed, a friend has shown me some large 8x10 B&W prints in the flesh and I am amazed at how powerful they look. The C41 rolls will be mailed to Digitalab and, dare I say it, scanned!
    Last edited by hoojammyflip; 01-25-2010 at 05:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    I agree. If you win an auction it is because the price reached a point which was higher than anyone else wanted to pay but lower than or equal to the maximum you wanted to pay.

How it got up to that price is irrelevant. If a bank of inter-connected super-computers did the bidding against you, that is just as relevant as another person doing the bidding.

You have no grounds for complaint if you win a bid at a price you agreed to pay.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    For anyone interested in Jobo repairs, an email from Jobo:

The thermostat is on stock.
    Article number: 95178 net price 45,80 Euro.
    the motor is not on stock but yu can send it for repair.
    The adress is :
    Klaus -D.Seynsche Fotolaborservice
    Feldstr.41
    51702 Bergneustadt
    Looking forward to hear from you soon and best regards

Shooter
    35mm
    I think shill bidding is banned?

Shooter
    35mm
    The issue as I see it is not so much about what you are prepared to pay, but rather the shill bidder below you was never prepared to pay what they bid. Understood like this, I can sympathise. That said, it highlights a problem with sniping software in that the bidder does not follow the auction closely and often misses shill bidding (such as many incremental bids and retracted bids).
    Steve.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin