Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,190   Online: 703

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Have I been shilled/scammed: Jobo CPE 2 on ebay

Hi, I would really appreciate opinions on pricing of a Jobo CPE 2, which I have just won in an auction on ebay. The price shot to my top bid in the last 10 seconds, at GBP 180. The kit is used but includes a Minilux LED colour light and a couple of thermometers. I saw on the Tim Parkin video that he had paid 150 for his. The seller has a rating of 2, and the other bid came from a bidder who has no history at all. It seems I was shill bidded by a snipe bid. Is this feasible? As a general rule, I believe if you don't know who the loser is, you're the loser...do people think I have overpaid for this. Item number is 200426706130 on ebay.co.uk. Many thanks, I am due to pick this up this weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    I should add, the seller is near me, so I reasoned, I don't have to pay postage and could increase my bid on the Jobo accordingly, plus, I have a stack of films awaiting development, and am keen to get a move on with the developing. I don't mind overpaying if the fair value on this stuff is 150...I do mind someone mucking around with the price discovery process by setting up a shill bid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Seems a good price to me http://www.paulpetterson.co.uk/www.s...k/info.php?p=5 If you were prepared to bid it presumably you were prepared to pay it?

Shooter
    35mm
    It really depends on its condition. If it is almost as good as new then £180 plus 2 good thermometers and a light might just about be worth it. I have seen CPE2's sell for less but this would demand patience on your part to wait for the right item and then you have the problems of p&p.

Overall you haven't got a bargain but you haven't been done either. Can't comment on the bid tactics but if it was a set-up then this breaks down if the fake bidder wins and leaves the seller with the problem of arranging the next time genuine sale without attracting attention. A fresh sale of a similar item within days of the first sale would look suspicious, especially from a seller who appears to be new to e-bay.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I would say that it's not a great bargain - I paid half that for my CPE2 just 6 months ago. It didn't have a print drum, but it did have a bigger film drum plus 3 reels. Depends if you really need all those thermometers and LED light.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the answers. I'll try to see if the thing is as described and pay in cash when I go to collect. A near identical system is GBP195 from the link Keith provided, so I have not got a bargain, but equally havent paid over the odds. It just smells funny, when a bidder with zero feedback and no other bids on ebay in the last 30 days snipes an auction.

Shooter
    35mm
    Snapper, did you check the bid history on the auction...I actually called ebay about it, but they said they could not determine any connection between seller and bidder 4, therefore its inconclusive as to whether its been shilled. But then it would look like that when using a web based sniping service. The print drums are worth quite a bit, GBP 40 at a guess, and the delivery is usually around the GBP 15 mark, which brings the price up to GBP 145 (0.5*180+40+15).

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    You might ask eBay if there have been any bid retractions on the auction. I don't know if it still works or not, but a way of exposing the max bid was to put in a very high bid, then retract your bid. Afterwards, it would look like nothing happened. That's what started me using snipe services almost exclusively.

I checked Bidder 4 - no retractions

Charley

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, but bidder 4 has no ebay history at all...this is the first auction he has bid on. The only reason for him to retract would be if I retracted my bid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its called the Free Market.

Bidders set the price. If you bid more than you were willing to pay, its your fault. A snipe bid only wins if its higher and doesn't allow you to bid any higher. I would think someone using a shill bid would place it with enough time to allow others to raise their bids. The seller has no way of knowing what your maximum bid is.

It cost way more when it was new, however, since its out of production and used, its whatever someone is willing to pay in a given place at a given time.

If it works, you will be glad to own one.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin