Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,595   Online: 1173

Shooter
    Medium Format

Breseler 67s Lamp problems

I got a used 67s with a dead lamp. I went to my pro shop and a got the same one that was in the enlarger, ESJ 82V 85W. I put the light in (I think correctly). The enlarger is connected to my timer (a gra lab), the timer is plug into the wall (I live in the us 120v 60hz). When I turned on timer to focus to check the light when on and then off. I took the lamp out and the filament is broken. The back of the enlarger says : "85 watts, 120 volts, 60hz". any ideas? I think this is the same setup as the previous owner had.

thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the Beseler 67 enlargers with dichroic heads (the most recent models)have voltage stabilizing circuitry built right into the head. For those, you just plug the head into the wall socker or timer, and you are good to go.

Some of the Beseler 67 enlargers with dichroic heads require a separate voltage stabilizing unit. Of those, there are two types:

1) the type that use a cable between the head and the voltage stabilizing unit that has, at the end, a proprietary plug; and
    2) the type that use a cable between the head and the voltage stabilizing unit that has, at the end, a plug that is identical to the plug that you might plug into a wall socket or timer.

If your head is the last type, it means that the label on the enlarger is wrong (it should say 85W 82V) and you are missing the voltage stabilizing unit.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So, since I am able to plug it into the timer directly that would mean I have the type that would require a voltage stabilizing unit, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course, there is always the chance that the new bulb you got was either faulty, or someone had got fingerprints on it (which will cause it to burn out quickly).

Based on the info at the back, I think you have model 6730 which is pictured here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

With that model, the necessary transformer and circuitry is built in, and a voltage stabilizer is optional. The available optional Beseler voltage stabilizer is model 6731, and is pictured here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...or_Dichro.html.

So it looks to me that your enlarger should work as is, unless something in your setup (electric power source problems or equipment malfunction) gives you electric power that requires stabilization.

Is the timer you are using one that you had before you got the enlarger? I ask, because some timers are such that you need to use stabilization between them and the head.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought more or less all the darkroom equipment used from one person. So I assume that I have it set up the way he had it. Enlarger -> timer -> outlet. Do you think I installed the lamp correctly? it shouldn't make a different which lamp leg goes to positive and which goes to negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The way you have hooked up the equipment is correct.

It also doesn't matter which lamp leg goes in which contact.

What can matter though, is that the contacts can get either dirty or corroded or even wear out (it gets hot in there).

Try cleaning the contacts to see if that helps.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is the inside of the head. All I have to do is slide the light in place, right? Sorry if that sounds like a ridiculous question, first time and I don't have the manual...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a link for the manual. On page 10 of the pdf you will find the instructions for lamp replacement.

Hope this helps.

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin