Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,288   Online: 1112

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vdoak View Post
    I use a metronome to keep track of time, turn on the enlarger light with a switch and use a gray card for a "shutter" (the same one i use for burning and dodging). The metronome is accurate but is a cheap electronic one. I try to set up exposures that are in the 12 to 15 second range. This is so I have time for burning and dodging.
    A friend of mine also uses a metronome in his darkroom work and I can't understand why. While his work is excellent I'm sure that that an electronic timer would allow him so much more freedom when printing. I just cannot imagine myself doing without my timer which is also an F stop timer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure many of those mechanical Time-o-light timers get thrown out every day in the US. Maybe someone will send you one for the price of postage to Japan . I gave mine away about 10 years ago (all my current enlargers have integrated digital timers).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's not just Japan -- here in Canada used basic Gralab timers go for $150-$200 in camera stores used sections. I got mine, like new, off ebay for $25. And of course, just afterwards, I was given another one when I bought my enlarger. IloveTLRs -- if you are interested in this timer, please send me a pm -- I'm willing to pass it on to you for the cost of shipping.

This is a part of why APUG is such an exellent place, good on you.

Now TLR lover, take him up on this offer, and a small portion of that $200.00 can go to APUG as a suscriber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd answer the question by saying that a timer is necessary, just not absolutely necessary.

I think it depends on your enlarger, and the size of enlargements you make.

If most of your prints are made using exposure times of 30 seconds plus, you can get good results without one.

If you are regularly printing for 4, 6 or 8 seconds, or if you start making more complex prints, with lots of careful burns and dodges, a timer is a lot more important.

I've used a timer for 30+ years, but I have also worked in newspaper darkrooms without one, and can do a mean "one thousand and one, one thousand and two, one thousand and three ...."

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a timer, ticks of a clock and internal mississippi clock equally
    usually all regardless of whether using the timer
    final printing I use the timer but the setting of the timer up to then is probably half based on test strips and same internal clock/memory I've built over time that I wouldn't have IMO if were to have never counted seconds/beats
    i believe counting internalizes the time better than relying on a machine would
    I know MY time ..because I've synched to a machine for a "baseline" to draw from
    I'd be much less accurate if I were to tell you when each tick is taking place by clock movement memory alone
    The structure provides the accuracy

By this I mean over the span of a minute I may be off somewhat sometime/s
    -usually sense that I am-
    and so because of the internal rhythm can speed up or slow down to correct for the perceived difference
    which I always seem to do by the end of the timing

A clock/timer is perfect so why bother keeping track yourself
    up to you
    I'd rather have it than not even if no help in the darkroom

I timed myself
    1 second
    results
    on the last I made up for the slowness and got 1.03
    10 seconds
    10.35 slow
    30 seconds no counting just rhythm
    booya lol

anyway why apug? send some saved money to haiti! Or even...........................................
    Lets just give all our disposable income to nee

LOL

".lots of careful burns and dodges, a timer is a lot more important"
    I disagree
    just to show variety of ways

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    I still count to myself, as the exposure is being made.
    Aaargh! OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder)

Me too (what if the battery is flat in the timer, or the mains power drops out?)

My advice: start with a top of the line timer, otherwise suffer the compulsive counting syndrome implanted in the brain from the use of devises like metronomes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't need a timer for casual work, but high-quality work is difficult to do consistently without a timer. 1/12 f/stop difference can easily be seen in highlights and midtones, but it's hard to time with anything but a good timer. Also, many tests to understand materials and calibrate darkroom processes depend on a timer. I picked up the metronome idea and it works fine for timing dodging and burning, but the sound can drive you nuts after a while if used for all timing processes. Get a good timer, you won't regret it. Consider f/stop timing while you're at this point, but be aware that most timers won't support it.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i use a metronome too, but i think i might buy a timer when payday comes...
    Currently shooting: KMZ Horizont and Minox B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Consider f/stop timing while you're at this point, but be aware that most timers won't support it.
    Now, hold on there. All timers worth buying support it.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another great thing is a timer with a foot switch. Useful for dodging and burning. I ended up with the RH Designs StopClock Pro, but the Darkroom Automation one looks great too. Both f-stop timers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin