Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,335   Online: 939

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format

80mm f2.8 Meogon

Quote Originally Posted by wskmosaic View Post
    I'm jealous as hell. I'd pay more than that for just that lens. Mind telling me the name of the auction site on which you found it?
    Warren
    Warren,
    Wow, this is an old thread. I got them off of eBay and the photo equipment/seller was from South Africa. Both were brand new with all the paperwork. I've tested both of them and they are actually better than I thought and it sure is dandy focusing a f2.8 lens in the dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Meogon 80mm f2.8 is one of the sharpest performing enlarging lenses ever. I can remember lens tests done in Practical Photography magazine back in the early 90's. side by side comparisons to the schneider componon S and Rodagon equivalents, put it hands down into first place. The Meogon produces even center to edge sharpness across most apertures starting at f4 through f16. Compared to the others, it had more sharpness, contrast, and resolved more lines per millimeter across more of the aperture range than its competitors.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    The Meogon 80mm f2.8 is one of the sharpest performing enlarging lenses ever. I can remember lens tests done in Practical Photography magazine back in the early 90's. side by side comparisons to the schneider componon S and Rodagon equivalents, put it hands down into first place. The Meogon produces even center to edge sharpness across most apertures starting at f4 through f16. Compared to the others, it had more sharpness, contrast, and resolved more lines per millimeter across more of the aperture range than its competitors.
    That's a bit of an overstatement. Meogons are indeed good lenses and if you have one, no need to search for a replacement. But above statement would suggest that if you own for example a Componon S, you should get a Meogon and that is simply NOT so. It actually falls into misinformation category for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read the lens test with my own eyes and am not bullshitting anyone. The lens test was done back in the 90's. Where in my statement did you take it to mean if you have a componon S, you should go and buy the meogon instead?? I did not. You made that up, and made 2+2 equal 10, and called me a liar in the process. I simply stated what i saw and read, you can take it or leave it. Or better yet, prove that i overtstated...
    Last edited by Andrew Moxom; 04-14-2013 at 08:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    I read the lens test with my own eyes and am not bullshitting anyone. The lens test was done back in the 90's. Where in my statement did you take it to mean if you have a componon S, you should go and buy the meogon instead?? I did not. You made that up, and made 2+2 equal 10, and called me a liar in the process. I simply stated what i saw and read, you can take it or leave it. Or better yet, prove that i overtstated...
    When one states (now apparently based ONLY on a test in magazine) that a lens "is superior in several categories" then some will interpret it as if having the other is not the best option and may seek the "better" one. I am saying that Meogon is a good lens, but having something like a Componon S is still a top lens ever made for enlarging (just like many others). And I did not call you a liar (now you made it up), I only said that suggesting superiority of one product over another in such strong words would lead one to believe that he may have an inferior product on his hands. Hence a "misinformation" in my statement, because you will find many people (myself included) stating that, if there are differences between these two, they are NOT in favor of the Meogon. Since I happened to have owned BOTH of these, I can sit quite comfy saying that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whatever... I will say that my claim has not changed. You implied I was lying, get over it. I am not sure I understand your reference to being "what now apparently based ONLY on a test in a magazine." Means? Did I say or imply anything different to that? It was a magainze test I was referring too. I was quoting what I read, and saw with my own eyes in a magazine test many years ago, I was not telling or implying people to sell their Componon's and buy Meogon's... Also as an owner of a Meogon 80 f2.8, and have owned a componon's in 80mm some years back. I can sit quite comfortably knowing that the Meogon I own is better in my opinion. So please enlighten me, and let me know what you and many others feel are better lenses, and why? Also show me actual print scans on an APUG gallery instead of hiding as a member versus a subscriber.

I'm not going to inflame this more than perhaps I have. I can read all the tests you wish, and advise others based on that. Fine. And yes, I missed the part that you mentioned the magazine test in your prior post, so sorry about that. The fact remains though that you have no experience with the lens, just mere sighting of a test. If others want to use that as a reference to make a purchase decision, fine too, up to them. Since you mentioned no ownership of the lens in your first post, I can't argue with your later admission.

But, if you think that as a subscriber you're somehow better than any of the members here, then sorry, but I don't think I need to comment on that. Quite obvious who I'm dealing with. Nor will I be even trying to prove anything with scans. Pixel peeping has no place in my darkroom work. I see the results the way I need to see them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Untrue again. I have the meogon we are talking about, as i also mentioned in my last post. So yes, the fact remains, I do have experience with said lens thank you very much, and a componon s lens as well. I am also not better than anyone else... Also implied by you, not by me. But merely stating that, prints ultimately prove the performance of the lens. I'm not a pixel peeper either, but as a member, you cannot post gallery pictures. If you were a subscriber, you could see gallery images and post your own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    Thanks Ian! That's a little reassuring at least. Of course I didn't remortgage my house to buy these so even if they turn out to be dog turds I'm not out much. I did a google search after the post and found that they(Meopta) made two Meogon 80mm lenses. One the 80mm f2.8 and the other the 80mm f4. These were both made at the same time and now I'm going to try and search out the selling price of each, just for the heck of it. JohnW
    They also made a 5.6/80mm version.

Take care.
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin