Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,941   Posts: 1,585,728   Online: 1090

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Meopta Meogon 80mm f2.8 enlarging lens

I'm remodeling my darkroom and was looking for odds&ends on the big auction site last night and came across a seller (a photo equipment store) that was selling several different Meopta enlarging lenses. He had three (brand new in the box) Meopta Meogon 80mm f2.8 enlarging lenses so I bought two of them at the "buy it now" price of $44.00. I thought I could try both and keep the best one. Maybe I should have bought all three to try, but I figured two should do. Now, the truth is I know very little about Meopta lenses(never owned one), but have heard they were comparable to other good quality enlarging lenses. What really swayed me on these two was the fact that they have a max aperture of f2.8. I can only imagine what it's going to be like focusing one of my Rollei negs at f2.8. It should be heaven! The real question is this, are the lenses good enough for work with the Rollei negatives. Anyone have any experience with the Meopta lenses, especially the 80mm f2.8. Doesn't make much sense taking great pictures with a Rollei or whatever and then trying to enlarge them with a coke bottle. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the Meopta lenses were made by Schneider, these were expensive lenses and amongst the best available.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Ian! That's a little reassuring at least. Of course I didn't remortgage my house to buy these so even if they turn out to be dog turds I'm not out much. I did a google search after the post and found that they(Meopta) made two Meogon 80mm lenses. One the 80mm f2.8 and the other the 80mm f4. These were both made at the same time and now I'm going to try and search out the selling price of each, just for the heck of it. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am using the Meopta 2,8/80mm in my darkroom and for macro.
    It's an excellent lens with a very good preformance. Comparing with my Rodenstock Rodagon WA-60 4,0 there is no difference in sharpness and contrast on 40x50cm format. So fine optics.

Greetz, Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Robert, I'm glad to hear your "hands on" experience with the 80mm f2.8 Meogon. I also like the fact that it was a positive one at that. You also answered a question I had the was swirling around in the back of my head. That is using it for macro/micro close-up work. I have a LTM(39mm) to M42 adapter and a helical focusing M42 extension tube that I use I my Canon 5D and thought if nothing else that this lens would make a very good macro lens for easy focusing at f2.8. Sounds like this lens will be an interesting toy to play with. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For macro I am using the helical focussing MFS from Zörkendörfer (Germany). Here you can fit every M39x1mm lens on. On the other end you can choose the adapter, also in my situation EOS EF.
    The system can also shift.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Robert, it sure would be nice to have shift in a macro lens, but I'm just happy to be able to focus. It would be very useful to be able to use shift/swings when taking some insect shot as the depth of field is so limited. I'll let you know what I think of the Meogon 80mm f2.8 when it gets here. JohnW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did find something interesting about the price. I searched and found an old pdf from www.silverprint.co.uk and it list the MeogonS 80mm f4 at 160.00 GBP and the Meogon 80mm f2.8 at 180.00 GBP. I can't find the 80mm f2.8 Meogon listed anywhere so I guess it's discontinued. They both must be pretty good lenses for Silverprint to have been asking that much for them and I have my fingers crossed that they are. If not I have a 90mm f5.6 Omicron-EL that is very, very good, but I sure would like it to have a little faster max aperture. JohnW

Shooter
    Pinhole
    sounds good to me
    smith

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm jealous as hell. I'd pay more than that for just that lens. Mind telling me the name of the auction site on which you found it?
    Warren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin