Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,537   Online: 933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Can you develop 5x7 sheets like you do with MF tanks?

Hi,

I have a question regarding 5x7 development.

I have been previously using Medium format and would like to venture into large format. Been searching and reading around about camera bodies, lenses , etc, However I could not find much reading material on 5x7 sheet film development specifically under day light (light sealed tank).

I have this concern, as space is very much limited and the bathroom is a shared place, so no chemicals and funky curtains.

On the MF, I use to develop my films by loading the film into a spool which is then loaded into a light seal tank. Chemicals can be poured in and inversion can be made. Is there a similar concept for 5x7 to be precise?
    I have found some Jobo solution for 4x5 however none for 5x7.

Images
    Good Morning,Neoro,

There's been lots of discussion of sheet film processing here; the Search function will provide lots of information. Lots of us use drums originally designed for color print processing; some use BTZS tubes; the Paterson Orbital processor (if you can find one) is favored by others. Naturally, simple tray processing also has its advocates. A Search will turn up many dozens, if not hundreds, of posts.

Konical
    Last edited by Konical; 01-25-2010 at 10:55 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling error

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I *think* you can do it this way: I took two 120 spools, cut em in half and then welded them together such that there is the right distance to feed 5" roll film on there. I think 5" sheet would work. I haven't tried it as yet but I suspect that it'd work.

So far I am just tray dev'ing 5x7. I also have some dip tanks but haven't tried them.

I can see what I did with my contraption and maybe I can give it a go and report. My recollection was that I found 5" aerial rollfilm to be too flimsy to work with my contraption, but ordinary 5x7 might be just fine. It needs some rigidity or it buckles out.

Apart from that, sure, there are inserts for tubes and you can do all the sheet sizes that way, in daylight.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Neoro, welcome to APUG.

I use a JOBO 3005 Expert film processing tank on a CPP-2 processor for five 8x10 negatives at a time. There is no reason you can't use it for five 5x7 negatives at a time.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There was once a 5x7" HP Combiplan tank, but it is no longer made, and used ones are near impossible to find.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know some people use Paterson tanks to develop 4x5 film "taco" style. Has anyone tried this with the larger tank, and 5x7 film?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know Gandolfi develops 13X18cm sheets in Paterson three reel tanks. I have developed 13X18cm sheets in my jobo 2830 on the CPE2 without problems.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks all for the inputs.
    I guess being new really makes things a bit difficult in doing the search, as I made various searches under different key words.

Anyway, keithwms, I took your idea and using my existing Paterson 3 Reel Tank I think I manage to come up with a holder.

As I don't really own any LF equipment yet (pardon me, I'm still doing a whole load of R&D before deciding) may I know if

the film thickness for a LF negative say is roughly the same as those of medium format?

If it is, then I guess the above may work, and development shd be pretty ok on both sides on the film using the Reel

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yep, taco style in a Paterson tank works fine, as does a Cibachrome tank rolled on the bench. The Jobo 28xx models work fine, with the bonus that you can put in 4 sheets of 5x7/13x18 in a 2840 and process at the same time. I don't use a processor, just slow rolling on a level bench.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good start neoro! That's kinda similar to what I have. The issue with the sheets is that they have no natural curl. So they will not want to follow those tracks. Maybe if you precurl them....

But the thickness isn't too different from MF film. It is a bit thicker. But there are also different thicknesses in LF, some bases are thin, some are thicker. If you want to experiment with an inexpensive film, try the ortho films at freestyle. They are quite thin.

I am still working on making my funny holder work, but frankly I am not really sure it's worth the effort!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin