Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,534   Online: 1000

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get the D-2 only if you have the room for it. Your B-22XL is more than capable of handling everything you've listed. You may even be able to get larger prints with the XL than the D-2 could give, due to the extended length(hence-XL) of the column. If you plan on acquiring a 6x9 or larger then you definitly need the D-2, or just get it, and have a reason to buy more cameras in larger formats(yummm --more camerasss --biggerrr negativesss --ooohh yaaa). A rolling cart about the same size of the baseboare can be bought or fabricated to roll that bad boy around easily. You may just buy it to have more than one machine, so you dont have to switch around so much.

Rick

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More... More... More....!!

That's how I ended up with 3 enlargers!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    More... More... More....!!

That's how I ended up with 3 enlargers!
    Yea I know-- Thats why I have five enlargers and two more being shipped here. I believe in "he who dies with the most toys,WINS!

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What the heck, I'll go take a look at it. If it's too heavy for me to lift, so be it, but I really only have to move it about 15 feet from the office to the bathroom. Worst case scenario is a 40 min drive. $40 obo for perhaps the last enlarger I'll ever need? Too tempting not to at least check it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...and that's how this illness starts... :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's my 6x6 Chromega B enlarger next to a 4x5 enlarger (beseler cb7). The wide angle perspective make the comparison a little tricky. But you can see a 4x5 enlarger head is about 6x bigger to do the same thing, the baseboard is about 50% larger, frame is more substantial, etc... It also requires a cooling fan which my 6x6 enlarger does not. To get it up on the table, I put an eye hook in the ceiling (hitting a floor joist above), and used a come-a-long to lift it into place. The little enlarger is easier to use, so I keep it for the small stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the price is right, I'd say jump on it. I was given a D3 about 20 years ago, and in fact, still have it. Bought a B4 in CT to use in the bathroom of my apt. It became my "travel" enlarger, and worked well making prints up to 16x20 in the spare room on Maui. Once back in TX, I built a new darkroom in '04 and installed a D5XL w/Chrometrol. Fantastic piece, improved my prints with infinite adjustment control.

Granted, I do shoot 4x5 as well, and use it for that when I do. BUT, don't ever say you'll never shoot LF. Once you do, you're hooked. Go with the D2, and really see what your prints can become.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought it yesterday. For $40 (including a 75mm Componar), I couldn't say no. I lifted it a few times, and you guys are right: it IS big and heavy, but not unmanageable. It came with 35mm, 6x6, and 4x5 negative carriers and assorted cones. I'll dust it off, download the manual, align it, and try it out with my EL-Nikkor 50/2.8. If I like the way it handles, I'll keep it, shop for a cheap 645 carrier for my Bronica negatives, and sell off the B22XL (don't have space for two enlargers). Otherwise, I can always resell it, no harm, no foul.

In the future, I'll look around for a Pentax 6x7, but I am never shooting 4x5! I am never...shooting...4x5. I...am...why is this slope so slippery???

Anyway, thanks for everyone's insight and suggestions, much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a 6x6 carrier, you don't need a 645 carrier. I'm printing my 645 films wiht 6x6 and it works just fine. I don't mask it either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dont dump the B-22 just yet. Carefully pack it away, and have it as a back-up unit. If, in the future you have the room for it, you will have a dandy dedicated 35mm or 6x6 for some quick work. I da that with the C-700's-- one for 35mm, one for 6x6, and two more for spares at this point. I also hane a B-22 set up w/ C-700 dichro head(and the condenser head).

Rick

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin