Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,467   Online: 850

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Anyone know if this componon lens is good?

Hi, I purchased an second enlarger a while back, and it came with a lens: a Schneider Componon marked 1:4/40.
    I'm assuming this means it's a 40mm f4. Can anyone let me know if it's worth using say, compared to my standard Nikon 50mm enlarging lens?
    Thanks for the tips!
    Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Schneider enlarging lenses are superb. If my memory serves me correctly there were two versions, the Componar and the Componon, the latter being best used for enlargements over 10x and the former for enlargements up to 10x, or is it the other way round? Puzzled by the 40mm though, my own experience was with 50 and 80mm versions.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know about a 40mm version but I have no complaints about my 80mm Componon.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May be a 'half-frame' lens, so if you don't have a need for it, perhaps some Pen-F user would want it. I don't recall that they made a wide angle "Componon." They, of course currently have a 40mm Wide Angle APO-Componon-S, but that is not your lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hmmm. Yeah, I'm kind of puzzled by it too. I can't figure out why you'd want a 40mm lens instead of a 50mm one. Here's the exact markings on the front:

Schneider-Kreuznach 14048073 Componon 1:4/40

Aperture ring has detents for 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16. And of course, says "Lens made in Germany" on the side.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Doesn't really seem like something I need, I guess, but maybe I'll try it out and see what the results are just for kicks?
    Jed

Shooter
    Large Format
    I believe you would use this to make larger enlargments ( or a larger crop) at a more convenient height than with a 50mm lens
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well the serial number dates your lens to Oct 83-Jan 85 see here: http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/...nses/index.htm

IIRC there was a wide angle Componon as well, so it's likely to cover a 35mm neg.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Bill - that makes sense; I suspect if someone had a shorter enlarger, they might need the extra...and 40mm is not so far off the "50mm normal" that it would induce any crazy distortions.

Bob, that is a neat chart - thanks for that! Looks like it's an oldie...wonder if it's a goody too?

Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 60's vintage Componon f4 50mm, I did some comparison prints with a newer -S f2.8. On B&W prints, you could see slight differences in 11x or larger prints as long as you used a 5x or stronger loupe to look at them, colour prints were even closer. I really tried to justify buying the newer lens, but I wasn't successful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Schneider 6 elements enlarging lenses are Componon and Componon-S series. Componar are 4 elements lenses, and they also made a triplet I forgot the name. The difference between Componon and Componon-S is that the first (which is also an older model) has a lower contrast and is suited for enlargements over 5(or 6)x. The S model is high in contrast and suited for enlargements up to 5(or 6)x.

Componons are made as f/2.8 lenses, artificially stopped down at f/4 (just look inside with the aperture large open and will see something like a metal ring sized at f/4, not allowing a larger aperture). I suppose they did this compromise just to keep the lens’ body as small as possible (why, I don’t know). But the lens is genuine a f/2.8.

As for the 40mm focal size, it was made for use with 126 size negatives. I think you can try it with 35mm too, one additional stop closed than normal (I mean f/11 instead of f/8).
    B&W is silver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin