Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,758   Posts: 1,670,775   Online: 720

Thread: Odd older timer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Odd older timer

I was just given an older timer that seems to have been made for a particular enlarger, and I can't figure out which one. It's a Simmon-Omega Electronic Variable Contrast Timer, or so it says. I found two references online: one here, where they sell the manual for it, and one that tells me the whole thing works on the idea of using the highest and lowest contrast filters in a variable timing relationship set by the "Very Hard" to "Very Soft" control knob, total exposure time being set by a separate dial. The khbphotografix/Omega site does not have it listed or pictured among the timers made over the years by Simmon-Omega.

On the side of the timer is a two-blade plug for the "contrast control."

Anyone know what this went to?

Thanks in advance
    Whitey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried Harry Taylor's site (www.classic-enlargers.com)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dead link, Barry, but thanks for the thought. I'll give it a little search.

I did go out and look again at the beast, and the name is "Contrast timer", not "Variable contrast timer"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Dead link, Barry, but thanks for the thought. I'll give it a little search...
    Remove the last 3 characters from the linked address ")/?" and it will be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you post a picture?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Simmon Omega Electronic Variable Contrast Timer

The Simmon Omega Electronic Variable Contrast Timer came with an optional foot switch and a contrast control unit which attached to the enlarger under the lens. The contrast control unit had space for two VC filters. Both a high contrast and a low contrast filter would be installed matched to your chosen paper. An electromagnet in the contrast control unit first moved the low contrast filter into place under the lens. The timer then directs the high contrast filter to move into place the timing of both based on the degree of contrast dialed in. It sold for about $160.00 in the early '60's and could be used on any enlarger as long as the contrast control unit could be properly mounted below the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here it is. Please excuse the quick and dirty digi-snap.

Barry- thanks, but I haven't found anything there that says what this timer might match.

Rick, our posts overlapped. Thanks for the info!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails timer.jpg  
    Last edited by Whiteymorange; 02-01-2010 at 06:55 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: overlapping posts

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's the un-dead link from Harry's site: http://www.classic-enlargers.com
    Last edited by fschifano; 02-01-2010 at 12:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the picture. Cool, it is a primitive split grade printing system.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin