Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,361   Online: 772

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
    I think it may be a condenser/diffusion thing. I use a condenser enlarger, and yes, a very thin, boring negative works much better than those dramatic, contrasty ones.

I've yet to do the work of testing for personal film speed, but I have discovered that, for my enlarger, I can reduce dev times by 20-30% from recommended times, and not be hurt in the least. In fact, my usual practice is a 1 stop pull and dramatically reduced dev times.
    I think this is pretty much it for B&W negs. I love the look of a tmax neg, but find they never print how I'd like them to -- experience being a large part of that.

Cross processed (e6 film souped in c41) negs can be stunning and near impossible to print for the same reason. With a crossed neg you can layer it with an unexposed but souped proper neg and make it manageable. I just wish ra4 materials came in grades.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can often tell by looking at a negative whether or not it will be easy to produce a good print from it. It is far more dificult to guess whether I can produce a good picture from it!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    In my experience an exciting negative rarely produces an exciting print but a boring flat negative often produces an exciting print. I've even tried making a negative image from an exciting negative to make the image live and that has not worked either.
    This is so true. But I do love the look of a beautiful neg
    mrcallow

I do too they are so seductive.

your avatar reminds me of someone but I just can't remember who?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    your avatar reminds me of someone but I just can't remember who?
    Les, Have you been to Ferndale michigan USofA recently. Of course my avatar is always being confused with (or maybe by) people of significance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin