Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,808   Online: 682

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

I need your opinion on this set-up.

Hi everybody. I'm all new to developing and enlargeing. I have asked a few questions before about darkroom equipment, and after a month searching ebay, and some other local sites, I think I have found a bundle that will fit my needs. Now i just need your opinion. I'm going to use it for 6x6.

I have been offered a:
    Durst M605 enlarger B&W
    Rodenstock Rodagon 50 mm f 2,8
    El-Nikkor 75 mm f 4
    Phillips timer
    Jobo Developing tanks
    Homemade developer engine for Jobo tanks (what is it?)
    Pliers, different trays, film clips and Paterson paper washer
    Durst UT 100
    Jugs, measuring cups, bottles and thermometer.
    Different folding frames, home made paper holders, chemistry and some paper.

The guy askes 1000dkr = £118

I would love your opinion!

Niels from Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Location, location, location. In my area, that would high, in other areas that have less offerings, a very good price. Not familiar with the enlarger, everything seems OK. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a complete kit to get your DR up and running. If thats in your budget, and there arent any other set-up being offered, I would probably buy it. The Durst is a great machine, look it up, or get some info from anyone that has one, to make sure all the parts are there. The rest of the gear is also needed, so thats a leg up in that department. Most likely a good deal. Plug in everything that is electric, and verify operation. Lastly, offer the seller somewhat less, just dont insult them, and be willing to haggle a bit. Worst that can happen, is you pay full price.

Rick

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nkbitsch View Post
    Durst M605 enlarger B&W
    Rodenstock Rodagon 50 mm f 2,8
    El-Nikkor 75 mm f 4
    Phillips timer
    Jobo Developing tanks
    Homemade developer engine for Jobo tanks (what is it?)
    Pliers, different trays, film clips and Paterson paper washer
    Durst UT 100
    Jugs, measuring cups, bottles and thermometer.
    Different folding frames, home made paper holders, chemistry and some paper.
    Round here, the lenses usually fetch £25-30 each, the enlarger, perhaps £10-20. The Jobo tanks depend very much on what size they are - If they are the 15xx or 2521 with reels, £10 for the 15xx, £20-80 for the 25xx (depending on which reel). The larger print drums vary in value and to be honest, not worth as much as some would like.

The "developer engine" could be a simple roller base, or something a bit more advanced. Of the other bits, the paper washer could be worth £10-20, the rest, of nominal value. Paper & chemistry depends on how old, and the storage condition - The paper could be fogged to hell, or worth using for contact sheets.

Based on what I would expect to pay in the UK, £100 would not seem too excessive, but I'd prefer a colour head. If it is a private sale locally, I'd take a look at the stuff and try to knock him down (start at 500dk)...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Check that this enlarger does 6x6. Have a look at the link below.
    Seems high, but like fotch i do not know Denmark,
    You are getting all you need in one purchase though.
    If the durst is not up to 6x6 easily perhaps a meopta opemus/axomat - there is another thread here today on the 80mm lens, which i think may be better than the 75mm nikon for 6x6. Regards

http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-12916.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd go along with paulc_5X4 & make an offer. If there are that few people interested locally the seller might go for that 500dkr. He also may meet you in the middle.
    I'd agree that an 80 Nikkor is a better lens but the 75 is OK. The 605 will accept 6X6 negs but I don't remember if it's a separate mask or adjustable.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The seller told me, that he used it for 6x6 only, so it should work :o) Thanks for all of your inputs!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sounds like an OK price, depending on what available in your market and the condition. You can always do better, but on the other hand if the equipment is in nice condition and everything works you could be setting up your new darkroom instead of shopping. It would certainly be a good idea to make an offer. I would also check out the Durst UT100, which I believe is a film dryer. If the UT100 is working that would be a nice plus.

Roger

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I imagine that it's not as easy to find second hand equipment in the UK as it is to find it in Dk. So, if all the equipment is in good condition, I would say it's a fair price.

The 605 was an excellent enlarger in it's day and featured in many school & college darkrooms - it's well designed and robust. It may be worth asking if the seller has condensers for both 35mm and 6x6 - but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, the 6x6 condenser works well with 35mm too, it just means giving more exposure. Perhaps, if you wait for it, a top quality 5x4 enlarger will come up one day - but it will be twice as big with twice as many things to go wrong... Personally, I'd rather have a condenser enlarger to print B&W - it gives images more "snap". Besides, you could always add a filter for diffusion.

The UT 100 film dryer is very useful bit of kit - essentially a heated, filtered, fan unit with a soft pvc bag hanging beneath to contain the films. I've seen them in several professional darkrooms, used when a drying cabinet would have been too big. Check the bag for condition, even if it's damaged you could fabricate a new bag fairly easily with sheets of thick polythene or vinyl.

Maybe the 80mm EL Nikkor is better than the 75mm on paper, but I sincerely doubt that anyone will ever spot the difference in your prints.

Ten years ago this gear would have cost well over £500 second hand and approaching £1,000 new, it would have been far beyond the means of most amateurs.

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do it

Haggle a bit if you can of course

I have seen working UT100s go for that sort of price

Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin