Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,653   Online: 1099

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    3e8

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    I just purchased some 1/4" 10 PPI reticulated foam from http://www.foammart.com/specialfx9.html - this is the same foam used in the original Maxwell Mural Tanks. I used the Maxwell tank in the late 1960s: it performed well for me.

justus
    Thanks for the link. Do you remember the approximate diameter of the tubes? I was thinking of using 3" or 4" PVC, but with 1/4" foam, I think I may have to go even larger for 40"x50"

3e8

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've found some usefull information on using horizontal enlargers, and some just generally useful info at http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/library.html particularly #42: Making Big Prints in Small Rooms.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

mural prints in tubes

Quote Originally Posted by 3e8 View Post
    Thanks for the link. Do you remember the approximate diameter of the tubes? I was thinking of using 3" or 4" PVC, but with 1/4" foam, I think I may have to go even larger for 40"x50"
    4" is plenty for 30x40 (and was the size of the original Maxwell tubes), but a bit tight for 40x50. I just did a trial 40x50 rollup which created a roll with a 4.5" diameter. I am currently using 4" ABS pipe for my 30x40s. Once I am done refurbishing my horizontal enlarger (Devere 8x10), I planned to use 5" ABS for 40x50.

justus

3e8

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well the plan has changed. I was going to buy the HK mural enlarger from a lab in NYC that was just looking to clear out some space. When the lab owner went to his storage, he couldn't find the head for the HK. Instead, he did find a Fotar 10x10 vertical 10' tall enlarger, with two color heads, that he's offered me instead. The horizontal elnarger appealed to me since I don't have extremely high cielings in my darkroom (a converted bedroom). However, I've found a few posts that say that the column of the Fotar can be cut down, and everything will work fine after you shorten the cables. So it looks like I'm gettting the fotar instead.

Now driving out of NYC with a 10' column in the back of my pickup is going to be interesting...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's much better to use double-sided adhesive tape over the magnet! You do not need a metal wall, you do not have any prints of photographs of the magnet.

I routinely make prints 3mx1, 50m, adjusting the KAPA, laminating width Sallmetall 2m.MK-Czech Republic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin