Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,478   Online: 938

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

50mm Enlarging lenses - which one to keep, which one to sell

Howdy,

I recently bought a bulk lot (LPL-C7700 enlarger, 2 lenses, trays, lights, etc).

The lenses that came in the lot were both Nikkor F4 lenses at 50mm and 75mm. I currently also have a Rodegon 50mm F2.8. Apart from being a little dusty, the Nikkors look in good condition.

Out of the two 50's that I have, which would be better? My untrained eye can't really tell that much difference TBH.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Test them, they should both be excellent lenses. My preference would be to keep the Rodagon because it's a stop faster.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That was my thoughts as well.....Will get right into both of them tonight.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd choose the Rodagon as well. Have one in my LPL 7700 and it works a treat!
    But as Ian pointed out, would be a good idea to test them both before deciding.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keep that 6 elements Rodagon, those 4 element Nikkors (your 75mm is also the same Tessar design) were made in the 60's as budget lenses, they are great performers stop down (f/8) at the center, yet nothing special at the corners.
    All this only being evident if you print larger, on a typical 8x10 size, the difference is barely noticeable.

So, hold on that Rodenstock!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I planed to improve the 50mm enlarging lenses at a community darkroom where I instruct. Using f/8 and projecting to 7x10.5 inches, I checked center against edge. I found little difference between the Schneider Componar (3 element) vs my Leitz Focotar f/4.5. A new Fuji f/3.5 was a tad behind. I'm surprised at the results but it was at f/8.
    RJ

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I might add that under a grain focus device you can see a crisper image with the Focotar vis Componar. Can't go wrong with a 6 element lens.
    RJ

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin