Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,179   Online: 818

View Poll Results: Do you listen to music while in the darkroom

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like to listen to music when in the darkroom.

64 74.42%
  • I like the sounds of silence when I work in the darkroom.

22 25.58%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Always - my success or failure is totally dependent on the music which is totally dependent on my mood.

I have to load in silence though or I'll mess up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always listen to music when working in the darkroom. When I bought my house it had to have two things a garage and a basement for the darkroom. When I built the darkroom I ran wiring to connect my upstairs stereo system to the darkroom. Along with the speaker wires I installed a remote IR repeater system which allowed me to control the system in the darkroom using the CD player and receiver's remote controls. Combined with a 5 disc CD changer the system works great. If I don't want discs than I can control the receiver's FM tuner

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I had to vote "no" only because I usually make my own music when I work, in the form of whistles, hums, grunts, splashes and occasional toe taps. And other sounds.

I have been thinking for some time how handy it'd be to sort my favourite music by duration and use that to time the darkroom work. For example, Bolero takes about 17 mins which is about right for dev + stop + fix for neopan 400 in xtol 1+1 or wd2d+, and the agitations and bath switches are even suggested by changes of the instrumental groups. Plus, when you finally pull the film out of the fix, it's nice to have the trombones blaring, and then that sort of resigned "that's all folks" at the very end.
    You don't think that bolero would lose its charm after a while then? I like the piece but I don't think I'd like to listen to it that often

I usually put on the radio but I've been thinking of taking a cd player to the darkroom because I'm not really into the music they play on the radio. I like classical and jazz and I haven't found any good chanel for that yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by klarifon View Post
    I like classical and jazz and I haven't found any good chanel for that yet.
    I was recently told about Pandora by a friend. Now that is amazing, definitely check it out. It's free internet radio, basically.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I was recently told about Pandora by a friend. Now that is amazing, definitely check it out. It's free internet radio, basically.
    Thank you for the tip, I'll have a look at that. But it unfortunately It won't help in the darkroom because I don't have a computer there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by klarifon View Post
    Thank you for the tip, I'll have a look at that. But it unfortunately It won't help in the darkroom because I don't have a computer there.
    Using pandora, a friend of mine got very good quality straight through his cellphone. If you have reasonably fast internet access on your phone, you can get the music....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Never had any music in with me. Most times there is something running through my head as it is. Not enough room for more.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Tunes are vital to darkroom fun.

Just me (well, poll says most of us).

The sweet sounds of Jerry Garcia will grace the opening of my new dark room this weekend.

MolBasser
    If you don't eat a hotdog, the terrorists win.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    While loading onto reels, I need silence. I haven't done it long enough for it to be second nature yet.

But, during my last printing session I had some Zeppelin playing in the office (darkroom is the tiny closet of the office), and that was very nice.

I think I'm gonna have to make an iTunes playlist of stuff that's good for playing in the background while doing things that require attention. Maybe some Crystal Method, Blue Man Group, BT, Days of the New, Dream Theater, etc... Maybe it'll keep my mind off of the fact that I'm in a stuffy little 2.5' x 7' closet with no real room to work. Can't wait til I convert my 10x10 shed...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin