Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,143   Online: 787

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to place too fine a point on it...

I'll give up Black and White Photography before I give up my Stopclock Pro.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I liked the Analyser 500 but ended up getting a Stop CLock 500 because I felt to limited by the Analyser. The lack of dry down support and the programmable steps really were limiting. I do miss getting a quick base exposure without test strips, but it's worth the trade off. Ideally they could make one device to it all.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Stop Clock Pro

I've found that the dry down compensation doesn't work... Anyone else found this? Maybe the timer is faulty..??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    I've found that the dry down compensation doesn't work... Anyone else found this? Maybe the timer is faulty..??
    The mistake I made when I first tried to use this feature was to figure out what percentage I needed (in this cae 8%) and then set the drydown compensation to +8% rather than -8%! The end result, as you might imagine was a print 8% darker when wet, let alone when it had dried.

Luckily that printing session only cover a few test prints on FB; I managed to rectify the mistake and have been happy ever since.
    Rhys

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Depending on the paper, dry-down roughly adds 1/12 stop of apparent exposure to the highlights, which must be deducted from the main exposure time. What is your timer deducting?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    I liked the Analyser 500 but ended up getting a Stop CLock 500 because I felt to limited by the Analyser. The lack of dry down support and the programmable steps really were limiting. I do miss getting a quick base exposure without test strips, but it's worth the trade off. Ideally they could make one device to it all.
    Dry-down compensation is not required on the Analyser because the units's grey scale is showing you the tone on the final, dry, print. That's assuming you dry your calibration test strips before assessing them of course .
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haved you set the compensation amount? As shipped it's set to zero percent so won't have any effect; you need to set it to the required amount (e.g -8%).

You can check whether it's working by setting a compensation of say -10% and a time around 32.0 seconds. When you press Start the display will jump immediately to around 29 seconds and count down from there. You can of course time it with a stopwatch as well to prove it's working.
    Last edited by RH Designs; 02-16-2010 at 04:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards,
    Richard.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RH Designs View Post
    Hi Firestarter

The StopClock is the one for you if you want to make the finest possible prints, as its two channels, memories and finer resolution offer you more control. The timer part of the Analyser is simpler, it has one channel and no programmable sequences although there is a clever burn-in feature. If you want to add exposure metering, buy a ZoneMaster II to go with your StopClock; you can use the meter to get a work print quickly and then use the StopClock to refine it. The ZoneMaster's metering is identical to the Analyser's.
    Thanks for the reply. I kind of guessed the Stopclock was the one for me. my main aim is to print my negs to the best standard possible which will take some practice, especially with a new system of timer. Is it easy to get use to an F stop timer after only having used a timer that counts in seconds ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Is it easy to get use to an F stop timer after only having used a timer that counts in seconds ?
    You will be surprise how easy it is. I started the F-stop method, with table I made with a spread sheet. Then I bought the StopClock pro. It is really a lot easier and quicker. And as it is easier, you increase the quality of you print.

What is difficult is going back to normal timer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Romary said
    Regards,
    Richard.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin