Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,433   Online: 837

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

RH designs timers

I have not had a proper darkroom for quite a few years. when I did before I always used the normal type of timers which counted in seconds. I am now at a stage (and age) where I really feel I am taking some nice photographs that I want to print to the best standard possible. I have purchased everthing I need for my new darkroom apart from a timer and after some study I really think an F stop timer is for me and what I want to achieve.

I have been looking at the RH deigns timers and am thinking about buying the Stopclock professional but there is also an Analyser pro model and this is my dilemma. Which is the better timer if you want to make the best possible prints. I don't mind having to make my own test prints etc and personally believe my eye will be better than a meter at judging the best exposure etc for a given negative.

Do I go stopclock Pro or Analyser pro. I have been looking at the RH website but what are the pros and cons of each timer.

I think RH are on this forum so maybe you can advise.

Thankyou.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Stopclock is awesome. It has two channels so you can do split grade printing. I bought it planning to get the separate analyzer unit, but haven't done that yet. To be honest, for the kind of printer I am at this stage, the analyzer pro would probably have helped me out more. However, I'm totally happy with the Stopclock, and I should probably making test strips anyway to improve my skills/eye.

If you are thinking of doing split grade printing, get the Stopclock.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My vote would be for the analyser - the meter functions are a plus that you will probably grow to like, if for nothing else than speeding up the process of test strip printing - It will also take density readings - and its not that much more than the plain timer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use the Stopclock Pro and recommend that model. The analyzer would be helpful if you were trying to print many negatives fast, with little waste. For fine prints, you will do tests anyway and the time/materials savings will be less. The Stopclock has more timer functions (as I recall) that are useful for split printing, etc.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the Stopclock. Started using mine over a year ago and haven't looked back.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have had mine for three years now, it is great. You will never look at another timer again, I think.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Without hesitation I recommend the StopClock Professional. For metering you can get the ZoneMaster II, but do not shortcut on the timer. The StopClock Professional is in a league all its own. You'll never regret that purchase.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Recently I upgraded my enlarger to a DeVere 504 and because of the Transtab unit I had to use the standard timer for a while as you need to buy a special cable to connect the RH timer up to it. During this time I really missed the StopClock Pro, its just so much more convenient compared to a simple timer; even if you don't use the splitgrade functions the f/stop steps in timing are a godsend (plus the dry down compensation, test strip maker etc). I really don't think you'd regret getting one.
    Rhys

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also own the Stopclock Pro, top device, couldn't see myself without one now, a true joy to use. I plan to add a ZoneMaster II meter to my existing setup when financially possible.

Get one, you're going to love it!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I too am a great fan of the Stopclock Pro. You would have a big fight on your hands if you tried to take mine from me. I have never used the Analyzer Pro, but from what I understand I do not think that model would be an advantage to me. I don't mind making the 2 test strips it takes me to get the highlight and shadow exposures I want.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin