Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,072   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Replacement for that little white thing?

Help! I think I've accidentely scratched the white plastic above the negcarrier on my Durst 850 colour machine...
    Does anyone know if it's possible to replace it? Or do I have to get a new machine? It gives bright marks on the enlargements, see attachments, took me ages to figure out what it was.

-Sarah
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails closeup.jpg   smoke.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi,
    That is the plastic between the light source and the neg carrier? If so you can just replace the diffuser. And all is well. There is a places who can cut white perspex for you. Most sign writers have and can cut perspex for you.
    Hope this helps
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ah! It helps to know what it is called...
    Thing is I thought it would be easy to just find some new plastic but it's not flat, it's thicker in the middle.
    But now when I know the term, I'm sure it's easier to search for a new diffuser than a new "plastic thingy".
    Thanks!
    -Sarah

Shooter
    35mm

neat

nice effect, like a fog filter, I like
    Kodak Duaflex II with kodet lens
    N75 N8008s D60
    Yashica - D
    Only a photographer knows the true value of infinity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's likely thicker in the middle to even out the light. A flat replacement may not give you even illumination. As an alternative, see if you can just invert the one you have. The extra distance may make the scratch out of focus enough to not affect your prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    It's likely thicker in the middle to even out the light. A flat replacement may not give you even illumination. As an alternative, see if you can just invert the one you have. The extra distance may make the scratch out of focus enough to not affect your prints.
    Great idea. If turning it over doesn't work, try filling in the scratches (like noseoil on negs for scratches), and if that doesn't work, try sanding out the scratches. It's ruined the way it is now, so you really can't hurt it.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finding a new diffuser may be quite a task. You might just look for a new mixing box of the appropriate size, which would have the diffuser in it.

What size mixing box has been damaged?

Here in the states Omega mixing boxes use a similar design diffuser which is still in current production. That diffuser could probably be made to fit the Durst mixing box.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tomorrow I will try to turn it around (if I don't break it when I bend it loose, it seems to be glued on). And I will check what size it is. Thank you all for your advice, wish me luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it is like the Omega one, it may leave a circular pattern when you use it turned around but it is worth a try.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you can't get the correct piece, you may be able to make a filter to cut down the density where the thicker part is. You could use you laser jet to print something on clear material and then cut and fit. Clear at the edge becoming greyish towards the middle.
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin