Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,707   Online: 841

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilford 5250 Dryer - foam exit rollers need replacement? WHERE to find them?

I need new exit rollers, the gray foam thingy's for an Ilford 5250 print dryer.

Is anyone aware of where these or something similiar can be found??

I'm aware Ilford no longer supports this.

Thanks in advance...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are where a lot of us are heading with automated processors. Sorry, but I don't have a good answer.
    I have not seen the product in question. I have recently dumped a smallish durst roller processor gin good shape given to me before I ever actually used it, because it had foam rollers in the transport path.
    There is a company in the US that services old Kreonite processors that may have spare parts for other machines as well, but be prepared to pay.

You may want to consider a DIY repair by purchasing the right sort of foam (I would look at McMaster Carr) and setting up a hot wire cutter and mini-pseudo lathe to form them to the size needed.

I have cut foam effectively in the past with a 6-10" long piece of nichrome wire extracted from a wire wound power resistor inserted into a plywood harp type thing to create a throat to pass the foam through and hold the wire taught.

I powered the 1 string 'harp' from a filament winding of an old tube amp transformer that was in turn powered by a variac to control the wire temperture. It worked well. The second time I lmade up this sort of rig I left out the filament transformer, but was sure to use rubber goves, as the wire was at a reduced line voltage potential that the variac supplied.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been cannibalizing other Ilford dryers to keep the one a school running. The rollers seem to be the first thing to go. I figure I can keep this one going for a few years yet - darkroom class enrollment is down so it's not getting the use it used to. One class a week now.

Fortunately I've acquired the other dryers for free - simply picking them up from local photographers and institutions going digital a few years back. Storing them until I want them is the challenge.

Good luck in your quest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and your point is??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tequilabong View Post
    and your point is??
    That by keeping an eye on things like craigslist and talking to other users of photographic equipment like schools, colleges, community centres, darkroom co-ops, hospitals, well-heeled amateurs, etc. you may get wind of someone with equipment or parts you can use.

Shooter
    35mm

New foam exit rollers for Ilford 5250

I found a company in SaddleBrook, NJ (USA) called Aarubco Rubber Company that will recover your old Ilford 5250 SS roller cores with new foam. Price was $110.00 (US) for each roller. These are the two exit rollers in the rear of the unit.

Email me if you need detailed advice as to size if rollers, etc.

Walter Holt
    locnleave@comcast.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear tequilabong,

Search the McMaster.com site. It appears that there are several possibilities in rubber and foam tube products.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin