Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,218   Posts: 1,659,540   Online: 680

Shooter
    35mm

Problem with Meopta Color 3 Head - No light

Hiya,

I acquired an Opemus 6 and Color 3 head not long ago and until now it's been working great.

Tonight I started doing a test strip, 2 seconds exposure a couple of times then nothing. No light.

I unplugged everything, reseated it all, set the timer to focus mode, still no light.

I took the Color 3 head off and examined the bulb, couldn't see that the filament was broken but I'm not sure how halogen bulbs bust.

Looked at what I could on the TR100 transformer and nothing obviously awry (it doesn't smell any more than usual)

I'm worried now, any ideas? Is it likely to be a bulb? How could I tell? Or has the transformer packed in?

I tried plugging the enlarger transformer directly to the mains bypassing the timer, still no joy.

Thanks,
    Vicky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Filaments in halogen bulbs often break where they are fastened to the support wires. They are usually only rated for 50 hrs of run time, and usually don't last nearly that long in enlargers due to many off/on cycles.

Shooter
    35mm
    maybe change the bulb to exclude the most likely defect. (Generally speaking, this is nothing special with the Color 3) it is said to be usefull also to change the socket from time to time, and at best wear gloves when touching (->changing) the bulb.
    Best regards,
    Bernhard

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone, this is the first time it's happened so I was immediately worried. Especially when visibly I couldn't see any problems with the filament.

I have ordered a new bulb and will see if that works, I've also noticed the fuse in the transformer so if the bulb doesn't work I'll try a new fuse too.

Thanks again, let's hope it's the obvious and is the bulb!

Vicky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Usually you can tell that the filament is buggered when they blow. Perhaps your bulb socket is bad. I read some manufactures recommending a socket change after so many bulb changes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just to come back on this one, turned out to be both the bulb and the fuse in the transformer. I didn't realise there was a fuse in the transformer but now that makes sense I tried the one in the plug and changed the bulb, and still nothing which is what got me worried that it was something wrong with the transformer.

All working again now thankfully for not much more than a couple of quid!

Thanks for the advice,
    Vicky

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin