Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,344   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Plastic Reels in a SS Tank?

Ok, this is probably a stupid question ...

Is there anything wrong with using plastic reels in a SS tank? I'm assuming that the reels will fit.

Images
    Good Afternoon,

I don't see anything "wrong" with using plastic reels in a SS tank, but generally the plastic reels are larger in diameter and won't fit into the standard 35mm/120 SS tanks.
    I just dug out my old Patterson reels, which I haven't used in at least thirty years, to confirm this. The Pattersons will, however, fit easily into a larger diameter Nikor tank made for 220 metal reels.

I see no point in the plastic reel/SS tank combo. SS reels are significantly easier to load, require smaller amounts of chemicals, and are dead simple to keep clean. In addition, I also recall that, in some of my early attempts at developing, I had problems with uneven development near the edges of 120 film in plastic reels.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One advantage to a plastic reel is that, once dropped .. (that never happens, does it ..,?) a plastic reel will be ether broken or straight. Stainless Steel will bend - I've never seen one break ... and once bent will STAY bent.
    I looked up "frustration" in my Funk and Wagnalls - there was an illustration of a photographer trying to "unbend" a Stainless reel.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, I didn't know what I was doing was impossible when I straightened out that bent reel. Not the only time I've had to do that, just takes a good eye.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, I suspected that the plastic reels simply wouldn't fit.

As to the "why" of my question ... simple: I own two plastic reels and a plastic tank that can hold one roll of 120 or two rolls of 35mm. I'd like to develop two rolls of 120 at a time, but don't want to spend any more money than I absolutely need to. :-)

Thanks for the replies! I think that I'll need to look at that Patterson plastic tank that will hold two rolls of 120 instead of a cheaper metal tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpneal
    Yeah, I suspected that the plastic reels simply wouldn't fit.

As to the "why" of my question ... simple: I own two plastic reels and a plastic tank that can hold one roll of 120 or two rolls of 35mm. I'd like to develop two rolls of 120 at a time, but don't want to spend any more money than I absolutely need to. :-)
    Your plastic reel will most probably hold two 120s. Just spool in #1 as far as it will go and let #2 follow just untill it is held completely. Two 120s are about the same length as one 135.

Stefan

Images
    SS reels are significantly easier to load
    Your forgot the "in my opinion" part. I don't find them easier at all.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde
    Your plastic reel will most probably hold two 120s. Just spool in #1 as far as it will go and let #2 follow just untill it is held completely. Two 120s are about the same length as one 135.

Stefan
    Sorry if my language was ambiguous. I have two adjustable plastic reels and a single plastic tank -- the reels work great with 120, the only problem is that the tank is too small to hold two reels set to hold 120!

Again, thanks everyone for your feedback.

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpneal
    Sorry if my language was ambiguous. I have two adjustable plastic reels and a single plastic tank -- the reels work great with 120, the only problem is that the tank is too small to hold two reels set to hold 120!
    It would help a great deal if we knew just *which* reels are in question. Both the JOBO and Paterson reels, when "set to 120" will hold two rolls of 120 film on a single reel - one behind the other in the same track - or one roll of 220.
    In the JOBO, after the first roll is loaded all the way to the center spool, the little red tab is pushed in to act as a stop, and prevent the overriding of the second roll.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    In the JOBO, after the first roll is loaded all the way to the center spool, the little red tab is pushed in to act as a stop, and prevent the overriding of the second roll.
    But of course the only way to get one of those Jobo reels into a stainless tank is to use a large hammer.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin