Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,208   Online: 837

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Cold light buzzing noise

I bought a used Zone VI single tube cold light with stabilizer on eBay. When plugged in the light is bright and constant but it buzzes fairly loudly, which I assume is a transformer inside. The seller said it was fine before shipping. Does anyone know if it is fixable or what options I have? I don't want to listen to that annoying noise while printing.

Mark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You might have to let it warm up. Turn it on for ~15 minutes before you plan to use it to see if it settles down. Also, buzz = vibration.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's normal for cold lights to buzz during start up. It's the same with some flourescent bulbs starting up cold. That said, some cold lights have a warming feature that will warm the bulb up so you don;t have to wait too long for it to reach operating temperature. I have an Aristo cold light head that has a seperate plug for the warmup.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Images
    Mark, If you are using the Zone VI comensating timer be sure the "Lamp" control button is turned to Maximum.
    JOHN

Images
    PS. The is the Lamp knob on the Timer.
    JOHN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the buzzing wont go away you may want to open it up and make sure the screws holding the transformer/ballast haven't loosened in shipping. Ballasts will buzz as they get old and the iron delaminates and the coil loosens.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ok, had a chance to look inside the head. All nuts are tight so not sure what is vibrating - nothing fixable by me anyway. I also left it and the warmup plugged in for 10 minutes and the buzzing didn't diminish. I am testing by plugging them in directly to wall outlet, not through a timer or the stabilizer.

I've had 2 other cold lights and they have always been completely silent no matter first turned on cold or when warm. I could sure do without the buzz when focusing and enlarging. Am I out of luck with this used cold light?

Thanks,
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably cost more to replace transformer/ballast than to buy another unit off of eBay.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin