Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,720   Posts: 1,483,130   Online: 1243

Thread: Durst M609

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Durst M609

Bought my first own enlarger (Durst M609) yesterday. Not sure if turns up to be a good deal but expensive it was not so no big losses expected. I did do some background check before buying it and M609 was widely regarded as good enlarger for B&W work. I have some questions about M609 though:

What type of lens boards does it use? Are they same as the modern Durst lens boards?

It comes with a 6x9cm glass negative holder. Can that be used for enlarging smaller negatives like 6x6cm?

If these sound like beginner questions then you are right. I have used couple of enlargers earlier but I am still a beginner when it comes to darkroom work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good going. Everyone swears by the M-600 series Dursts. I had an M-601 years ago and loved it. Yes you can use that carrier for smaller negs, if it has adjustable mask, or make your own mask. Depending on the lens, you may not be able to get big enlargments with smaller negs., because of the telephoto effect of the larger lens. Sounds like you have a good start at getting your DR started.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that enlarger uses recessed SETOPLA boards.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 02-19-2010 at 12:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I was afraid that some sort of mask is needed. According to the pictures there doesn't seem to be any. What is that mask anyway? Piece of metal? Does it have any other purpose besides preventing light escaping around the negative?

Durst is still in mail, should be here during next week. I have 63mm and 80mm El-Nikkors waiting for it. Enlarging starts with 6x6cm and 6x4.5cm formats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I make my masks out of that black opaque material that sheet film and paper comes in. I lay it on top of the glass held in place with some tape. I use that material because it is thin it won't damage the glass and it does not produce dust (like paper or cardboard might).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I make my masks out of that black opaque material that sheet film and paper comes in. I lay it on top of the glass held in place with some tape. I use that material because it is thin it won't damage the glass and it does not produce dust (like paper or cardboard might).
    Do you mean you put the mask under the negative? Doesn't that make negatives edges bend out of focus? If all I need is that then my only worry is lens boards.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I think that enlarger uses recessed SETOPLA boards.
    Recessed or flat depending on focal length. I am little confused if M609 uses lens boards unique to it or if it shares them with other Dursts. I got the impression that they are same as other medium format Durst lens boards. I would really appreciate if someone could verify this.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In answer to your question, yes. There should be two chrome knobs on the carrier that, when rotated, move masks from the outside edges of the glass down to even smaller than 35mm. They each operate independently so you can create any proportion you want, including your 6x6. Great enlarger and really more ergonomically suited for 120 film. The lens board for 35mm is deeply recessed thus hard to change the aperture.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Very good, I googled for the negativ holder 'adanev 71' and it seems that is has an adjustable mask.

How about lens boards? Are they the same as more modern Durst lens boards?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by verney View Post
    Do you mean you put the mask under the negative? Doesn't that make negatives edges bend out of focus? If all I need is that then my only worry is lens boards.
    I put my mask on top of the top glass. I the opening a little bigger than the negative image size. Though I did get a glass carrier once that was used with the mask sandwiched between the glass, but I don't like putting anything but negatives between my glass.

I have a SETOPLA lensboard in my Durst 8x10's Tripla lensholder; I think these lensboards are pretty universal among the Durst enlargers.

I'm not sure about 'new' and 'old' Durst lensboards, other than I have seen some that are black anodized, whereas the older ones have a polished rim. I don't think the sizes are different.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My first enlarger was a Durst 609, that my father bought used early sixties (i still own). Is built like a tank, accept M39 enlarging lenses and permit all formats, from 35 mm to 6x9. The only complaints is the lacking of MG filter holder.
    Ciao.
    Vincenzo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin