Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,853   Online: 926

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tank and Reel

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are two type of plastic reels:

-) with bearing balls yielding a kind of ratchet mechanism,

-) "blank" ones (like Jobo) where one has to alternatingly use ones thumbs to arrest film whilst twisting reels.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I misspoke, the funnel isn't inverted with a Paterson developing system.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I first started out in the 60's I used a Yankee Clipper tank, it was easy. I now use SS tanks and reels, because thats what I'm used to. I think its just a matter of what you practice on and become used to using. I dont think there's a hill of beans difference when you are doing one or two rolls at a time. Pick one, practice, and stop fretting, just DO IT. If you need tanks, I have both plastic and SS for sale. As for plastic, I have both Patterson System 4 and a universal two reel that is just as good. Look them up in the classified, I'll ship anywhere.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    When I first started out in the 60's I used a Yankee Clipper tank, it was easy. I now use SS tanks and reels, because thats what I'm used to. I think its just a matter of what you practice on and become used to using. I dont think there's a hill of beans difference when you are doing one or two rolls at a time. Pick one, practice, and stop fretting, just DO IT. If you need tanks, I have both plastic and SS for sale. As for plastic, I have both Patterson System 4 and a universal two reel that is just as good. Look them up in the classified, I'll ship anywhere.

Rick
    Hi Rick, thanks for your reply.

No thanks, i will buy it new by myself, i don't need to buy from others, i can afford them and they are not expensive at all, i was even going to buy both the plastic and the SS, but i tried to be more wisely in buying and ask here before i decide on one, but seems it is a matter of preference, each can be used perfectly if someone knows how to use any, so i will go with any of them and use it to what it should be for the job, just there is always time before i pull a trigger on something to ask and see the reviews, maybe next time i should ask much about what to choose on anything, because different people will give me different answers and all are right of what they answered.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Arista Premium reels are great for 120. I haven't had a problem loading them yet.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used both, SS is easier to clean up, but I found that the plastic is easlier to load film on.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe I'm missing something here. Why are the stainless steel tanks easier to clean than the plastic ones? Once you're done processing, rinse either off with warm water and you're done. What's the big deal?
    Frank Schifano

Images
    Good Morning, Frank,

Plastic reels, by nature of their construction, have more crevices which can contain chemical residue. SS reels do not have that problem. If you drop your processed film into a film washer, the reels get washed at the same time as the film. If you use Photo-flo after washing, putting the empty reels back into the film washer for a minute or so takes care of cleaning them. Just to be sure, I'll usually finish by spraying some hot water on the empty reels before putting them aside to dry. The same general approach can be used with plastic reels, but a bit more time and care is needed to be sure no trace of Photo-flo remains.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK thanks all!
    I just ordered 2 plastic tanks [and i think they both included the reel] and 1 StainlessSteel Tank and reel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here. Why are the stainless steel tanks easier to clean than the plastic ones? Once you're done processing, rinse either off with warm water and you're done. What's the big deal?
    I'm with you on that Frank. I have 25 year old tanks that look just like my new ones, and all I've ever done is rinse them with hot water when I'm finished. My plastic reels, only look old, but they were old when I got them(1960's Yankee Clipper) Maybe its just the new stuff thats fussy. I have some new plastics, but have yet to use them.

Rick

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin