Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,917   Online: 793

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tank and Reel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll tell you, Rick. I have at least 2 dozen plastic reels and about 7 plastic tanks. All but a few were picked up used, most were rescued from the trash. Some look old, and are. A few I bought new. They're all the same. Rinse 'em off when you're done and they're good to go. Use a hair dryer on the reels if you need to put them back into service quickly. Yes, if you let the chemistry dry on them they can be a bitch to clean. The same can be said for the stainless steel reels. Being lazy about cleanliness is not consistent with good darkroom practice though, is it?
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finally i bought Steel Tank and Reel, and also 2 plastic tanks and reels, but i don't know how to change that plastic reel from 35mm format to 120 format, i don't want to break it, any help please?

Shooter
    35mm
    You need to twist the reel to "unlock" it. Depending on the reel, it could be clockwise, or counter clockwise. Once you unlock it, you can adjust width and it will have a guide for 120. Some reels also support 127, so take care to select the correct setting. Twist the reel again to lock it to the new width and that's all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    You need to twist the reel to "unlock" it. Depending on the reel, it could be clockwise, or counter clockwise. Once you unlock it, you can adjust width and it will have a guide for 120. Some reels also support 127, so take care to select the correct setting. Twist the reel again to lock it to the new width and that's all.
    Now the problem is i don't know which direction to twist it, i am worry to break i twisted it wrong way.
    I will check again and see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    I'll tell you, Rick. I have at least 2 dozen plastic reels and about 7 plastic tanks. All but a few were picked up used, most were rescued from the trash. Some look old, and are. A few I bought new. They're all the same. Rinse 'em off when you're done and they're good to go. Use a hair dryer on the reels if you need to put them back into service quickly. Yes, if you let the chemistry dry on them they can be a bitch to clean. The same can be said for the stainless steel reels. Being lazy about cleanliness is not consistent with good darkroom practice though, is it?
    Thats the one place where I am the most diligent about cleanliness. I run my darkroom as though it were a cleanroom in a semiconductor facility.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    Finally i bought Steel Tank and Reel, and also 2 plastic tanks and reels, but i don't know how to change that plastic reel from 35mm format to 120 format, i don't want to break it, any help please?
    Hold the plastic reel in your left hand with it facing you. Place your right hand on the reel facing you, and twist your right hand clockwise while twisting left hand anti-clockwise. Both the Patterson and the Arista(generic) work the same. It may help if you try to push your hands together while twisting.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The reel will "click" when it unlocks. Gentle pressure in either direction will accomplish this. Then adjust to the film size being used and "click" it back the other way for use. The plastic used will stand quite a bit of force but shouldn't be necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another question, how to load film on stainless steel reel? I tried that but it seems like impossible, plastic reel was much much easier to load film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    Another question, how to load film on stainless steel reel? I tried that but it seems like impossible, plastic reel was much much easier to load film.
    You must put a gentle arch in the film so it slides inside past the spirals to engage the holding clip. Then as you turn the reel, you allow the film to relax from the arch ( so it flattens) into the space in the spiral, and follows the spiral from inside to out. This is much harder to explain than to do. Use a roll of spent or otherwise used roll of film to practice with. Years age, some companies made a film loader for SS reels, a short prearched metal piece that you pushed film through into the reel. I have an old Durst reel loader that has that feature plus a crank handle for the reel that self loads film, its a simple contraption, works though.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    You must put a gentle arch in the film so it slides inside past the spirals to engage the holding clip. Then as you turn the reel, you allow the film to relax from the arch ( so it flattens) into the space in the spiral, and follows the spiral from inside to out. This is much harder to explain than to do. Use a roll of spent or otherwise used roll of film to practice with. Years age, some companies made a film loader for SS reels, a short prearched metal piece that you pushed film through into the reel. I have an old Durst reel loader that has that feature plus a crank handle for the reel that self loads film, its a simple contraption, works though.

Rick
    Thank you Rick!

For sure i practice on used or test roll, i did with that steel reel and i failed to do it properly, i know i did or it can be done but so hard, and that in day light i can see, i can't be sure i will do it in changing dark bag forever, plastic reel way easier even it need little practice as well.

I have another question: so if that steel reel for me is a bit difficult to use, can i use plastic reel in steel tank? or must steel go with steel and plastic go with plastic?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin