Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,370   Online: 1039

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is there something wrong with my lens?

I managed to get full coverage on a 4x5" sheet with my 105/5.6 componon, should that be possible? I thought the practical limit would be 135? This was with my D3 with the variable condensor taken out, as you would do with a 150 mm lens. The focusing image was sharp in my focuscope, and I can't see any issues (e.g. uneven exposure) on the prints.

Is there any downsides to using a 'too short' enlarging lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's nothing wrong with the lens just you It's not designed for that coverage. Yes the downside is it doesn't cover properly corner sharness will be very poor

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the lens just you It's not designed for that coverage. Yes the downside is it doesn't cover properly corner sharness will be very poor

Ian
    Hmph, guess I'll have to shell out for a cam for the 150 then...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've used the 105 Componon on 4x5 in an extreme situation or two many years ago but, as Ian stated, corner distortion and resolution do suffer a bit... it's definitely noticible. A 135mm Nikkor is a knock-out champ though and costs much less on the used market than a top-notch 150mm.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may find corner illumination to be very low too.

For small prints the focal length is effectively longer. I would still question corner definition.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin