Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,548,994   Online: 812

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Bag in Box chemistry storage

A few days ago I heard from some friends that they store all their stock solutions (Xtol and other developers, too) in bag-in-box containers that they purchased from a supplier of wine cellars and apple juice producers. Their report was quite simple: it works very well, chemistry lasts very long and using it is simple. As a nice bonus, prices are ridiculous, a bag and box for 5 liters costs around 2 Euros (2.70 USD). I know these bag-in-box containers from my odorless fixer, Amaloco X89, but never thought about getting such containers for my Xtol.

Is that a popular way of storing chemistry in your photo labs?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If I could get those in the US, I'd be all over that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    US Plastics has them. I don't know the prices, though.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Porters Camera sells them in 1Qt. and 1Gal. sizes. I think the prices are a tad high, but if that's what you want and have the budget... Of course, you can always buy the boxes of wine, have fun emptying them, and reuse.

Rick

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    sprint chemistry is sold that way from the manufacturer,
    if you get more than the 1L size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    If I could get those in the US, I'd be all over that.
    You can:
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/winema...ng/wine-on-tap

Or go to almost any coffee shop. Most typically sell coffee in quantity for meetings in those bags inside a cardboard box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak used to supply chemistry this way for the average user and it was quite convenient. The bag came totally sealed and was punctured by a sharply pointed spigot that was packed with it. There were some minor problems. Once opened, the keeping was not as good as a totally sealed bag, you could not totally empty the bag without some effort, and some of the spigots dripped slowly so you had to place a pan or something below them to catch the drip, and the drip sometimes was delayed starting so you never knew when or if it would begin to happen. I used to use a tray under each one just in case.

The bags were also sold empty OTC but were discontinued about 20 years ago, probably to the above problems. They did not have a good reputation. I have some here that are in storage. I no longer use them.

However, over 20 years, the technology has probably improved enough to eliminate these minor problems. If so, I think it is a fine method.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used some of these years ago. On the plus side, I think they are better than accordion bottles, however, not that easy to clean or load. Still, you don't do that all that often.

I now have changes to storing developer in a bunch of small amber glass bottles, filled to the brim, and used one shot. Easy to fill, easy to rinse after use, and easy to tell how much you still have.

Funny, started with glass, then evolved to plastic that could be squeezed to limit air,then accordion bottles to squeeze air out, then bags in boxes that collapse as air removed, now,back to glass via small glass bottles with no air in them.

I am glad I skipped the marbles in the bottle after recently reading here about how hard it is to get the marbles out of the bottle. I suppose using a large mouth bottle it would be OK, but a lot of extra maintenance cleaning marbles.

I just (yesterday) got myself set up with a Nitrogen tank and regulator. Have to get a hose and nozzle yet. My wife will also use it for her paints. She will probably use it more than me. This will server, for me, when the small bottles are not usable, as I anticipate color chemicals will require a different method of mix and use.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I do this with my Xtol. Though I have to force myself to drink 5 l of wine first! However, once I've sobered up, I rinse the bag out and then I'm ready to fill with developer. Of course I must remember which boxes contain which liquid!

John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin