Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,104   Online: 900

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recon that many of us have made all the mistakes ever possible and sometimes we've been lucky too. But a bit of light on the film once the development time is at its end doesn't make any difference. This makes life easier if you're not using e.g. Paterson tanks where it's easy and fast to drain and refill the fluids.
    I thought that I was lucky and got away with it, but after reading the instructions for the BTZS tubes, I realized that the film isn't very sensitive to light once the development is done. As there are quite many users of the BTZS tubes and probably millions of films have been processed with those tubes, I recon that it's safe to say that the film can take some daylight at the stop and fixing stages.
    I use Jobo drums with a CPP2 nowadays, but when I was using a CombiPlan for 4x5" sheets, it was a relief to just lift the lid to flush the used developer out and the stop into the tank within say 15 seconds instead of over a minute with the "prescribed" drain and fill cycle for the CombiPlan. Actually after a while I just took off the lid, flushed the used developer and poured in the stop without putting the lid back. A few "lift and drop" agitations and it was time to replace the stop with fixer. This was all done in a very soft light, a 15W indirect light on the other side of the room behind my back. Not much light, but still comfortable to work in.

//Bj÷rn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bjorn,

I understand a certain green safelight is "safe" for a brief period after film development is half complete and would suppose something similar happens with your unsafe procedure. Those of us who learned "down and dirty" darkroom--rushed deadlines, portable darkrooms in hotels on a shoot, etc, etc. would turn on the lights after the film had been in the fix for a short time--but never before.

You may be very lucky; or everything I thought I knew (and which was taught me by cigar-chomping old pros, some of whom went back to the glass plate era) during the last fifty years or so is wrong.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin