Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,923   Online: 1089

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Good luck! I wish I could get so much room in my place to build me one of those.
    André Ferreira

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    HAHA... You didn't see it before I moved everything

Gary, The sink is just temporary. I've been looking for a reasonably priced 8' stainless steel sink that is within driving distance. So far no luck, that's why I ordered the Delta for now.

Something else I need to install tomorrow too. I picked up a portable Husky air compressor (and water trap to fit on the line) today at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...s/163858_4.jpg

I got tired of buying all those cans of compressed air to dust off negatives. I figure that I can put it under the workbench and run the air hose up the back and through the pegboard. With the small amount of air used to dust off the negatives I won't need to run it very often, just long enough to charge up the tank.

Should pay for it's self quickly.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Jim
    Do some testing to be sure the pump blows clean and doesn't generate a static charge. Filters are available to remove any dust or oil from the airflow, really not sure what you would do in the event of static in the air. Resident engineers?
    Another thing you might play with is a vacuum line from outside the darkroom for cleanup without stirring up a cloud of dust and activating vacuum easels for borderless printing. I used the 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe ran through the wall. You don't need to glue the parts in the room if you need to move things occasionally. A regular ribbed vacuum hose fit into an elbow tight enough to make a working connection to my vacuum easel and allow easy use for sucking up dust bunnies.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    our (my wife uses it too) darkroom is on the ground or should i say below ground floor of our house and as such had no plumbing available initially. but....we discovered that we could get an 'up' pump to bring water to the house waste line which made the sink a reality. it works quite well and isn't on constantly, but rather waits till there's a certain amount of liquid to work with and then cycles on briefly and shuts off. not typical, but it works.

your facility looks terrific. my wife is enamoured of the pegboard. nice job!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    btw, cans of compressed air can be obtained very, very reasonably at places like BJ's or Sam's Club. worth a look if the compressed air deal doesn't give you clean enough air.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    O.K. I just finished running the CPVC pipes from the laundry room to my new darkroom, took about two hours.

I haven't hooked into the water lines yet. When I picked up the other stuff I forgot to get shut off valves. I was going to go ahead and hook it up without them, but i decided that might not be a good idea

I also got the air compressor all hooked up. It seems to work well, but time will tell if it's going to generate a static charge. Thanks Gary, I didn't even think about watching for that.

I'll get the valves after work tomorrow and hopefully I'll be back in business!

Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    You lucky guis that have a darkroom!
    I've always used the bathroom, and final wash everything in the laundry.
    Next month we will be moving to another apartment, where space will be even tighter...

Many times I do not print due to the hassle of assembling/disassembling the bathroom, or my younger son won't be able to shower.

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Oliveira
    Next month we will be moving to another apartment, where space will be even tighter...

Many times I do not print due to the hassle of assembling/disassembling the bathroom, or my younger son won't be able to shower.

Jorge O
    I know the feeling Jorge,

We just bought this house about 9 months ago. Up 'till now I had to do the "Bathroom" thing too.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Oliveira

Jorge O
    Jorge, Boy can I relate..up until the current place, all I could do was film in the bathroom. Waited 25 yrs to get a darkroom, then had to start the build out of it, seemed like it took forever - thought the digital demons were going to beat me out of the darkroom for awhile, instead they did me the favor of driving prices down, now I have a Beseler 45 and 23c II.

Keep the faith, Jorge, good things will come your way sooner or later (at least I will have good thoughts for you).
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I should consider myself lucky because I have a pretty good area in my garage for a darkroom approx. 12'X12' with a slop sink. But it is only semi-permanent with only the dry area and safe lights permanent. The rest of the space (wet area) is a laundry area. So I have to put up light blocking curtains, set up a table for the processing trays, and put the finishing trays on the washer and dryer. So between set up and clean up that takes well over an hour and a half. It doesn't pay to set up the darkroom unless I am going to do an all night session. I wish I could go in there for a quick one print session.

Shooter
    35mm
    Let's see:

I can become a pro. This way, I will have a nice excuse to rent a place big enought for a darkroom.

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin