Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,407   Online: 765

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

LPL 7700 Pro Condensers

Hi there,
    first post on this site, expect there will be many more.
    I just bought a LPL7700 Pro. It's a 6x7 condenser enlarger for black and white only. It is meant to have 3 condenser lenses. All three are used for 35mm and only two are used for MF. The one I've purchased second hand is missing the third condenser for 35mm work. If I use the medium format condenser setup with the 50mm lense, is this going to cause uneven density of light across the negative or will it just require longer exposures? If you have this enlarger, how do you use it? Do you move the bulb to the 35mm position and add the third condenser or do you just use MF setup with the 50mm lense? I will be doing both MF and 35mm work.
    Cheers
    Alec.
    PS If you have one of these (No.3) condensers and would like to get rid of it, I would be very interested. :-)

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I don't know the answer, but a third option would be to use the lens for MF to print your 35mm, although that would would limit the maximum size of enlargement.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    On my 23C, I can adjust the spacing of the condensers for different formats (35mm - 6x9). If I'm doing 35mm with a 50mm lens, I can and often do just leave it on the 6x9 setting. The light distribution is even across the whole field, just not as bright as if it were on the 35mm setting. So, printing times are longer, but I don't have a problem with long printing times at all. Often, the opposite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you do 35mm like that but just make sure you use the 80mm lens. You just won't be able to make real big prints, but it will work perfectly like that until you can get the other condenser.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have the LPL 7700 with condensors and deliberately use only the two condensors for 80mm with a 50mm lens. No falloff visible and it is even brighter than with the third condensor (which is weird).
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Again, the way I look at it, if there is no light fall off for 6x7, there can't be any for 35mm. Just use it as is. Times might be a bit longer, but you should be able to use your 50mm or 80mm lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Condensers are focused based on the focal length of the projecting lens and the lens-to-negative distance. That is different than a diffusion mixing box, which is sized according to the film format and is independent of projecting lens focal length.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Condensers are focused based on the focal length of the projecting lens and the lens-to-negative distance. That is different than a diffusion mixing box, which is sized according to the film format and is independent of projecting lens focal length.
    Yes, but it doesn't seem to matter that much with this specific enlarger.
    Might be the big illuminated area of the frosted bulb in contrary to a point source.
    Last edited by ath; 03-03-2010 at 01:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks folks. I was initially inclined to agree with Tim and Andreas, that an evenly illuminated 6x7 neg could be replaced with an evenly illuminated 35mm neg and the lense changed. But now I'm not so sure. I had a look last night and there does seem to be some slight fall off using the 50mm lens. However, it is a very small, cheap, plasticy looking Besler 50mm f3.5 lens. So it may be the lense. Anyway, the column is pretty tall so I think I can print to about 16" with the 80mm rodenstock, so this is about as big as I'd go with 35mm anyway.
    Any ideas on where I might pick up the last condenser?
    Cheers, Alec.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Here is the answer I got from OmegaSatter.com
    Our part number is LPL32313430 retail price is 60.95 and should be purchased at your photo dealer of preference.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin