Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,893   Online: 1073

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Question, is your 23C 110 or 220? Have you already plugged the Omega into the 220v outlet? It would be strange that your finding consumer or standard enlargers in the USA that are other than 110v.
    The Omega C-700 is sold as 220v/240v in the US as new stock, so it's not that strange. B&H sell them.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Is it 220 V? Or 240 V? I thought 220 V was the European standard. 240 V and 208 V are US standards, but not as common in the household as 120 V. Ignoring the 208 (three phase), I think some appliances in the house do run off of 240 V, like stoves etc.

So, do you mean 220 V, like a European enlarger would be equipped with, or 240 V, which I guess a heavy duty enlarger might be equipped with if it had serious power needs? If the former, the power supply might have a switch on it to operate at 120 V. If it's just a standard tungsten bulb with no supply, it should be fine even at 120 V. Or get a US bulb for it. If it's got a projector bulb and/or power supply, look for a 220-120 adapter like Ian mentioned.

If it's 240 V, then look for a US 240-120 adapter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The European standard is 220/240V, and here's the enlarger at B&H.

Transformers for 220/240 to 110/120 are very common in Europe as power tools on building sites have to run at 110n and have cut out/surge protection, but step down transformers will be easy to find in the US and very cheap.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The Omega C-700 is sold as 220v/240v in the US as new stock, so it's not that strange. B&H sell them.

Ian
    Are you sure. Not that I doubt you but wonder if you have a different web site (overseas?) than the normal one. The link to B&H USA as folllows:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...specifications LINK

It indicates Voltage 120v, 50/60H. For replacement bulbs PH140 Lamp - 75 watts/120 volts.

Since B&H sells world wide, I am sure they have or can get the models you state, however, not for the average USA user.

I am sure they make an export model for other markets. How are 2 of these, and different brands, showing up in ID?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I posted after you had already posted, your link confims its special order, not a stock item.

From the link it states:

• Usually ships in 2-4 weeks
    • Important Notice!
    • This is a special order item and is non-cancelable and non-returnable. Est. arrival at B&H is 2-4 weeks (subject to availability). You will be charged upon placing your order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought the US electricity grid/generating systemi was rather unique because it's not 100% standardsed, and in a few areas it's DC, not AC, and in small pockets 220/240v but it's years since I last read any details about it.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More than you wanted to know.

I don't know what different parts have but in the Midwest (Chicago, Milwaukee) and most of the states near by, most homes have both 120v and 220v AC. The 220v is mostly for appliances such as Stoves, Water Heaters, Electric Heat, Central Air Conditioning large window AC's, and in the home shop, certain tools such as HD table saws, etc.

Industrial/commercial areas can also have 3 phase.

So, most everything from enlargers, computers, TV's, lights, drills, and so forth are 110v, sometimes stated as 115v or 120v, even though they are all the same (the voltage varies somewhat in different locations).

I though DC wired homes was back in the beginging of electric use and would be surprised if its in widespread use anywhere in the USA, but then, maybe in DC?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    most homes have both 120v and 220v AC. The 220v is mostly for appliances such as Stoves, Water Heaters, Electric Heat, Central Air Conditioning large window AC's, and in the home shop, certain tools such as HD table saws, etc.
    Isn't the 220v supply actually closer to 208v derived from connecting across two of the three phases rather than one phase to neutral?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Isn't the 220v supply actually closer to 208v derived from connecting across two of the three phases rather than one phase to neutral?

Steve.
    That's the common method in private homes and small businesses, and equipment for that situation is designed to operate efficiently there. Industrial settings are more likely to have 240 VAC in a three wire single phase setup and full 240VAC industrial electrical equipment.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, guys. . . I was a little surprised to find out it was 220/Eur wired. . . The guy I got it from just got back from Germany where he bought it. . . I got my Beseler while I was living in Italy. . . So I should've known. . . :o

As far as the "if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't try" response. . . you're probably right. . . there are only two things regarding electricity I'm any good at. . . flipping the on/off switch . . . and making two pieces of short pipe into a long one. . . other than that it's "call an electrician". . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin