Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,207   Online: 807

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Quesion about rewiring an enlarger

Living in an apartment, I'm having to use the spare bedroom as a dark room and it is a major pain to unplug the stove and run a cord to the enlarger just so I can print my photos. I picked up an Omega C-700 for 50 bucks to use in the converted bedroom and am curious if it possible to rewire it to run off 110 rather than 220. Anyone know if this is possible? . . . I figure it'd be better to screw up a $50 C-700 than my $1000 C23. . . know what I mean?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A small transformer to convert the voltage wouldn't be very expensive. Thjey are sold for commercial power tools in the UK, I'd guess they must be availble in Russia as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have to ask, then maybe its not such a good idea to try

Having said that, many times a manufacturer will have both 220 and 120 taps on the primary transformer in the power supply if it is an 'export' model. So, it would be a matter of switching the wire over to the correct terminal on the transformer and changing the plug if needed. Though, I know in the D5500 Omegas, the 'switching' power supply is not amenable to easy voltage conversion.

If it is a condenser head, and the bulb runs right off the mains, it could be as simple as just replacing the bulb.

The other way would be to get an external step-down transformer of the appropriate wattage and not alter your power supply.

Shooter
    35mm
    Heheh, the OP is in Moscow, Idaho, USA. :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Heheh, the OP is in Moscow, Idaho, USA. :P
    I know where Paris, Athens, London & Moscow are we have APUG members in all of them, all lost . . . . .

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A C-700 you obtained in Idaho is wired for 220??
    If there isn't a switch on the back of the power supply, it may be possible with an internal fix, as Ic-racer indicated.
    OTH, there are zillions of Omega power supplies on ebay that are 110, and some of them are available for reasonable money.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Or install a 220 line to the enlarger from your circuit breaker. Much easier.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this with the C760 Dichro head, or just the plain C700 B&W head?

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two things; one) C-700's can be used for 110 or 220, if standard condenser head change plug(male)and install proper 75w/110v lamp. 2) if dichroic, purchase appropriate voltage stabilizer for voltage desired.
    I have a 220-110 transformer that you may have for the cost of shipping, I'm not sure if it is possible to reverse wire it for step-up 110-220. Another choice would be a dedicated extension cable from the breaker panel to the (darkroom), or pull wires to location.

Rick

A no 211 lamp may be used as a temporary replacement. The correct bulb can be had from Freestyle Photo.
    Last edited by Rick A; 03-04-2010 at 08:34 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Question, is your 23C 110 or 220? Have you already plugged the Omega into the 220v outlet? It would be strange that your finding consumer or standard enlargers in the USA that are other than 110v.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin