Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,370   Online: 807

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Load requirement for voltage stabilizer for Aristo D2 coldlight

Does anyone know what the minimum load requirement is for a voltage stabilizer that will be used with an Aristo D2 cold light (NOT D2-HI)?

I use a Zone VI voltage stabilizer with one of my enlargers and I recently purchased an Aristo stabilizer for my other enlarger but, even though the seller I purchased it from (eBay) said it could handle a 4x5" Aristo cold light, I see it has a maximum load capacity of 100 watts which I don't think is enough. What maximum load capacity do I need for the my head?

BTW, I did look at the Aristo site but could not find the specs I need.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi,
    I have to use a voltage converter for my D2 head. I'm using a Zone VI timer on the light side only. The heater lead is plugged directly to the voltage converter. I have used this method with out any issues. My converter has stabilizer and overload built in. I also had a look at the head it has nothing on it. 100 watts is going to give you about 1 amp (.909 @ 110Vac) I would just run the light not the heater through it. I know this doesn't give you exact answer, yet. if it has overload protection plug it in.
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How much does your line voltage fluctuate? Maybe you don't even need it.

I would think changes in output related to the tube's temperature would be orders of magnitude higher than output changes from the voltage fluctuation typically encountered in a US city.

But I'm just thinking out loud here.

Having said that, I do agree with you that 100w capacity does not seem like enough. But on the other hand, if it is an Aristo stabilizer, what head would they have ever sold that would have such a low power drain? a 35mm head (which I don't think they ever made). So if its not for your light source, what else would that Aristo stabilizer be intended for??

( So, basically I'm saying just what you are saying and not offering any answer to the question.. sorry )

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks, folks!

I provided a bit of misinformation in my original question but it doesn't really change my question. The new voltage stabilizer that I just bought is made by Unicolor, not Aristo, as I wrote.

I have never measured my voltage fluctuation and, as a matter of fact, it never seemed to be an issue even before I got the Zone VI stabilizer for my other enlarger. However, when I am running water in my darkroom, which is in my 90 year-old house with it's old wiring and fuses, the water runs into my sump and is then pumped out by my sump pump. I believe that might cause voltage fluctuations. Also, depending on the time of year, my furnace blower motor and/or my A/C compressor motor may be going on and off during printing sessions. In any case, I added the Zone VI stabilizer years ago because I got a great deal on it and it can't hurt anything. I have have been watching for a similar stabilizer for my other enlarger just so the setup is the same for both enlargers and the one I mentioned came up on eBay a couple weeks ago. It is not identical to the Zone VI stabilizer which has a dry-down control, but all I really want is stabilization. (I don't use the dry-down feature.) But when I went to hook it up today, I saw that it only has a 100W load limit and I don't think that is enough even though the seller said it could handle an Aristo or Zone VI 4x5" cold light.

As for the heaters, I don't run them through my timers (or stabilizer), of course. They are plugged in separately during my entire printing sessions as they should be. Only the current going to the lamps goes through the timers. I also use contactors with both enlargers to isolate my digital timers' circuits from the current draw of the lamps but that is another unrelated issue. I just thought I would mention it. However, my contactors have 1,000W continuous load limits (1,200 intermittent). They are made by Aristo and recommended by Aristo for my heads when used with some digital timers but they may be suitable for use with larger heads too. But I don't think the 100W limit of my new stabilizer is enough to handle a 4x5" cold light. In fact, I suspect that if I tried to use it, I would burn it up.

BTW, I know very little about electronics other than the very basics - house wiring, etc.

In case anyone suggests it, I know that it would be better to have a compensating timer or compensating metronome that actually measures the light output and compensates for light output fluctuations and I do keep an eye out for them but they don't come on the market that often and, when they do, they are too expensive for me.

Anyway, what I would like to find out is what the the minimum load limit should be for a stabilizer that I would use on my other enlarger with it's Aristo 4x5 cold light.
    Last edited by ZoneIII; 03-06-2010 at 08:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the Aristo web site:
    Watts:
    D2 Series: 70
    D2-HI Series: 110
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it's a voltage stabilizer it's different to the Zone VI Stabilizer, which is primarily used to stabilize the light output which varies quite a lot with temperature. You are probably aware that the temperature of a standard cold light head rises rapidly when it's switched on. The light output also rises quite markedly. The Zone Vi Stabilizer unit would also be of some use in controlling light variation due to mains voltage variation too, of course.

Interestingly (for me at least) the tubes in my recent Aristo VCL4500 cold light head (two tube VC unit) give some light increase with a rise in temperature but not a lot, but further rises in temperature cause a decrease in light, so to some degree they are self correcting. I have read that the recent Aristo tubes for single tube heads that are spectrally suitable for VC filters are also less sensitive to temperature.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin