Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,777   Online: 908

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Vick,

Make prints. Have a good time.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    All one really needs are an electricity supply and a couple of tables. I actually don't even have two tables in the spare-bedroom (my 'darkroom') so I clamp a worktop on to one of those folding workbenches. Washing is done via an extra tray which gets walked through to the 'back-kitchen' / utility-room every now and then. It works out fine. You can produce stuff that will make you happy in minimal conditions, though a purpose made darkroom would be more comfortable if you work in it 60 hours a week for your livelihood obviously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MartinP, it seems we have a similar setup.

Vick, I started out doing this because I came into some equipment that was being thrown out from our University's Physics and Astronomy lab. If you have a passion for this at all now is the time to start trying, at least a little bit - now and then. It took a great deal of lurking on my part too before I felt comfortable going for it. Take everything one step at a time and keep everyone here posted - ask questions - and be motivated by the support of 'family APUG'.

Or if you'd like I can make the 5 hour drive and take whatever you don't want off your hands for you??
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vysk View Post
    Oh, thanks all. Maybe that's what I need - moral support to keep the gear. I wish I'd win the lottery, then I'd build myself a darkroom.
    I made my first darkroom out of cardboard refridgerator cartons in my parents basement. That was 40 years ago. Net cost was two tubes of caulking to stick the cardboard together.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Keep it, or you will sorry after you retire.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

You never know...

Vick;

I'm also in Ottawa, and have just almost finished a darkroom. I have an Omega B66xl with dichroic head; and it just fits in the basement-low ceiling'd houses we have here. It is in one side of a basement bathroom, so there is "kindof" running water; thinking of putting in a real 2' x 4' sink sometime.

I like developing and printing again; it is kind of fun; but not as simple as pluggin in a USB port. One gets spoilt. I purchased my Omega enlarger new many years ago now, and it was in storage for about 20 years - coming out for an evening of printing every year or two.

If you want to do some printing, up to 6x6cm negs, PM me.

I was thinking of getting a 4x5 enlarger but 1) don't think I have the vertical room; 2) don't have cameras larger than 6cm x 4.5cm; 3) my darkroom is not that big in terms of square footage. Something to think about... you need to be really dedicated to make full use of a wet darkroom in 2010 - digital is really simpler for some tasks.

JohnS.
    Last edited by johnalex141r; 03-15-2010 at 09:25 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added "in 2010 - digital is really simpler for some tasks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin