Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 697

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally I'm not worried. They made a lot of the processors. New units still will occasionally surface (I helped my friend score a new old stock, never been filled with water, CPP2 from the mid 90s from ebay last week) Plastic lasts a long, long time. Electronics and motors can be rebuilt or replaced. Unlike Bob Carine, my Jobo is for personal use and will likely outlast me.

This is obviously a dynamic event with the outcome to be determined as the process works its way through the legal system in Germany. All we can do is cross our fingers and see how it all plays out.

This is a very innovative group of professionals with many alternatives available. Should push come to shove film will continue to get processed and prints will continue to be made one way or another.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by richard ide View Post
    The Jobo tanks and parts I have seen are injection moulded which would put it out of reach of small shops. Producing parts even with existing tooling would be an expensive, serious operation.
    Much of the cost of Injection molded parts is making the Molds. If those are available there are "large" firms that do nothing but run injection molding equipment, and send the rough parts to smaller makers to finish. to replicate each of the molds for even a small tank would likly be 10-50 thousand bucks a part. (Top, Botom, lighttrap, locking ring, core, reel top, reel bottom, film separator (that little red plastic gizmo that lets you put two rolls of 120 on the reel), cap. Two more parts to make the Gear, another part for the magnet holder.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any ideas on rotary processors? I bought a Rollo Pyro kit and was starting to look for a Jobo unit but they are of course not a consideration presently. Has anyone made a rotary tube for multiple films out of ABS like the Jobo film tank. It looks like six cylinders within a larger cylinder. I might have to make a tube and adapt a 12 volt DC gear motor I have, it reverses and would be easily adapted to a gear and timing belt or pulley and belt etc.. It looks like another work around. I know that the Jobo units are much more sophisticated than an ABS tube but that where it's come to. I bet someone out there has a home built unit that works perfectly.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format

Many used processors available

Curt,

Just go to eBay. I just did. Many JOBO processors still available used or NOS. These are built to last, and I agree with ic-races. * But I have spare unit just in case*

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    was starting to look for a Jobo unit but they are of course not a consideration presently.
    Just find one used or even a new stock - any Jobo processor in good condition will last you for years and years. Don't count them out yet.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Any ideas on rotary processors? ... I bet someone out there has a home built unit that works perfectly.

Curt
    Not a home built unit, and it's film only, no paper capacity, but I love my Phototherm.

I've got several carcasses for spares as well. But here again, prices on those have started to climb on the auction site.

One trick I did think about (and actually worked on but never perfected) before scoring the Phototherm was to put a Patterson multi-reel tank into an oatmeal box filled with injectable foam. And use one of the cheap rotary bases to agitate.

This is what I was working on. It may be very USA specific depending on availbility of "stuff" other places.

Put the Patterson (3 reel seems about right size) into a plastic grocery bag. Smaller is better, but enough to cover the tank and keep the foam away from it.

Set the tank in the center of an empty oatmeal box, then fill the box with "Great Stuff" injectable foam. (Or similar.)

Make sure you can get the tank in and out of the foam after it hardens. (Here's where the plastic bag helps.)

Pour in chemicals in the film and go for it. The foam makes a great temperature control device.

Things to keep in mind:

1) Regardless of whether you have one, two or three rolls of film in the tank, you need the same amount of chemical since the tank will be horizontal. Your chemical volume needs to sufficiently wet the film on each and every rotation. (This is similar to the old Rondinax or Load-o-mat daylight tanks that you only fill half way. The rotary action keeps chemical on the film that's not submerged.)

2) Rotary development increases contrast. Experiment accordingly. This ain't stand development.

3) I found the older Patterson tank with the small lid works better than the new one with the funnel. Easier to get into and out of the oatmeal box. YMMV depending whether you're more or less coordinated than I am.

4) Remember that you can't use really fast development times, since the action of filling the tank takes some time, and the film on the bottom will be submerged while the film on the top reel will not. This is only a few seconds, but if you're development times are too short, you're hosed.

5) Don't try to use too big a tank either. It gets unwieldy and the liquid sloshing makes it easy to drop.

6) As soon as I got the Phototherm I completely abandon this idea, so I never worked out any good work flow or details.

Good luck if you try this. I'm not responsible. I told you I abandon it in favor of a real processor. But processors were cheaper back then.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Another vote for phototherm

I too have a Phototherm, after looking in vain for a reasonably priced ATL-1000 or 1500 for a long while. I am glad I got the Phototherm in retrospect. I think it's a better processor overall and pretty easy for DIY service if need be. Film-only, yes - but that's fine, there are better options for paper anyway (e.g. Fujimoto).

Sad to see Jobo go into bankruptcy though, in any case.

-Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Just find one used or even a new stock - any Jobo processor in good condition will last you for years and years. Don't count them out yet.
    Kirk: I certainly don't disagree about the longevity of Jobo equipment. However, even a "new" Jobo motor can fail. And if the motor fails, what does one do unless there are spare parts? Not everyone can afford to keep a back-up Jobo unit in the closet just in case.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used and liked my Jobo CPP2 lift processor when I had it, but did have a few complaints on the cog system and heater unit. I ran it for about three years and then sold it on eBay. I traded and old beat-up Nikon F with a complete motor drive system to a dealer in Indiana for a very complete CPP2 system that came out of a lab. I picked the Nikon up for $75.00 so I didn't have much in the Jobo CPP2. I started watching the prices start to climb on eBay, decided I could still process everything by hand that I was doing in the Jobo. I stuck the whole outfit on eBay and got $977.00 for it and was very happy. Now, here is what I think about JOBO and some of their products and it's only MY opinion of course. JOBO products are just way over inflated when it comes to retail price. I know a bit about injection molding/cost and for these processors and tanks their pricing is just way out of line. I always wished that somebody would have come into the market place and cleaned JOBO's clock, but it never happened. I would have rather seen JOBO sell their processors and acc. for less money to more people. Maybe they wouldn't be dying now if they would have sold more units for slightly less money. For me, I'll just stumble along like I am and keep my money for things like paper and film. JohnW

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin