Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,562   Posts: 1,545,294   Online: 759

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ian, can you elaborate a little? I can't get the knack of getting the knack. It seems no matter where I hold this thing, it causes the other side or the middle to open up, releasing its grip on the negative. I am used to holding the carrier firmly to either brush or blow dust off and examing it via a light. With this carrier, it is a bit like holding a fish. I can't imagine doing it with an 8x10 holder! Any tips?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have to scratch my head and think, I'm not back in the darkroom for a week or two, it's a few thousand miles away, and it was early December when I last printed

When I started using the carrier I had many negs shift, fall partly out etc, and it was frustrating. It's 5x4 & b10x8 where I had the problem, I don't think there's any thing special, rather just the care you use to close and then raise the carrier up and into the enlarger, I really can't describe it without being there and doing it.

What I do remember though is grasping by the front opens the carrier because the 5x4 frames are cause a gap in the main frame and it's hinge on the back is very flexible, so it pivots on the font edges of the 5x4 frames opening at the back, so you need to hold by the two sides. about midway back, a bit like carrying a tray of drinks with 2 hands That analogy isn't bad.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ian, ok I got it. Put it in the context of a pub ("tray of drinks") and I understand right away.

I have been doing what you describe, but here is the problem, which brings me back to my original post: if I need to clean the negative while in the holder, I can't do it. I only have two hands. If I use only one to hold the carrier, it falls out or gets easily knocked out by either the brush or the compressed air.

What do you do in that situation?

DAP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Talk about being late to the party...

I don't know if this would work or not, but maybe try replacing the plastic hinges w/ some thin spring steel that has been drilled to match the hole pattern of the plastic hinges. Depending on the thinkness of the spring steel this mod should allow some flex, but not as much as the plastic (the big question is whether or not spring steel would allow the amount of flex required for this carrier). It might be worth experimenting with the idea.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi I would like to ask a question about the de vere 504 master negative carrier:
    Is the model that DOC W has fitting ALL the 504 de vere enlargers or not? This carrier
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carrier.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	43204

My 504 is like this

Thanx a lot!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	devere.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	43203
    Last edited by murnau; 12-19-2011 at 07:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    nobody?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a 504 and also an 8x10 DeVere. I made my own holders from a sheet of plain glass and a sheet of non glare framing glass for the top glass, hinged with tape...Cheap and very effective..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ok thanx
    but still??

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use a 11x14 Deveere for my work.

The enlarger is IMO a wonderful piece of equipment. first rate....but the negative stage is the poorest design I have ever seen in any enlarger I have used. total crap.
    Having the head rest on the negative stage is poor design and for an enlarger that cost over 50k I am wondering what the hell were the designers thinking.

But getting over the neg stage issue,the 11x14 is easier to use with its drop table than all other enlargers .

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The DeVere 507 neg carriers I had looked the same as the 504 one you got, murnau. I cannot be 100% sure but I think any 504 carrier is going to fit any DeVere 504 head. I had a factory neg carrier and one home-made, which was made out of sheet metal and had hinges out of some plastic.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin