Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,956   Posts: 1,558,036   Online: 1122

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post

....Ralph uses one, and many of the tables and data he has generated in his Way Beyond Monochrome standard book
    I am not familiar with this book. Search I must!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Correction - I am familiar with it - I just don't have it. I will wait for the forthcoming second edition.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    I wish I had a picture, but from your description, I think you’re talking about the metal spring clips that hold the Femoneg in place
    As long as you don't mind a picture taken with a camera-that-uses-no-film, then here you go:

It's about a 3.5" square section inside the raised pieces around the input window, and those inner two clips are clearly meant to hold down whatever goes there. The upper two clips are the one that hold the guts to the Femobox in place.

Duncan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    .....It's about a 3.5" square section inside the raised pieces around the input window, and those inner two clips are clearly meant to hold down whatever goes there. The upper two clips are the one that hold the guts to the Femobox in place.....
    I'm looking at my Femobox now, and it is slightly different, with no raised areas around the upper diffuser. To be honest, I don't know exactly what that area on your Femobox was designed for. Several years ago I did have an old Femobox for the 8x10 Durst enlarger, and I remember that it had some type of clips on top (but no raised edges), and I thought the clips were there to hold a supplemental diffuser that I didn't have. So I never thought any more about it, until now.

I wish there was a complete, comprehensive catalog of the Durst system, much like the Nikon Compendium or the excellent Nikon books by Uli Koch. Oh well... I guess we'll just have to keep asking questions on APUG.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    It's about a 3.5" square section inside the raised pieces around the input window, and those inner two clips are clearly meant to hold down whatever goes there. The upper two clips are the one that hold the guts to the Femobox in place.
    I think you'll find the clips are for holding a secondary diffuser or ND filter in place - At least, that was what I was told when I picked mine up last summer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK, makes sense as a place for optional things to go, but that means I'm not missing anything critical to normal work, right? My head actually has an adjustable ND filter built in, along with the 3 color filters, but I assume this same box might get used with heads that don't have that feature.

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh! This page is confusing, but are they saying when you buy a new Femobox they also include a special diffuser to match your exact lens? Includes a much better picture of the setup:

http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/femobox_new.htm

So presumably with my "naked" Femobox, I'll simply suffer whatever falloff characteristics there are for each lens used. They don't mention there how to buy additional/replacement diffusers for existing Femoboxes. That website is not the best designed one I've ever seen...

Duncan

Shooter
    Large Format
    It’s not that uncommon to find a diffuser with a thicker center, to compensate for light falloff. I have a Beseler slide duplicator that has a “machined” diffuser almost identical to the one in your link.

My Femobox 4x5 has a flat diffuser, and I’ve never noticed any darkening in the corners. But I tend to use a slightly longer lens for the format.

When you get your system setup, you could test for light fall off—with an empty negative carrier, just expose a sheet of paper for high contrast and develop. If there is significant light fall off, you could make a custom graduated filter for the Femobox.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK, I'm leaning even more heavily towards the Durst now that I stumbled across more stuff while unpacking my treasure boxes. TWO complete sets of glass - clear bottom and anti-newton coated top. And a Femomask 66 set, and a Femotub.

Here's a question about the masks. The durst-pro-usa website says the masks (at least the ones they're making now) are cut a shade big, to allow black borders around a full frame image. On both the mask sets I have, that is only true of one of the masks. One mask has squared off edges at the mask hole and the hole is bigger than the negative image. The other mask has highly beveled edges at the mask hole, and the hole is just the size of the negative image. What gives there? And is there an officially correct way to insert these? I assume the one with pins goes on the bottom side, to help aligning the neg? Does it matter pins to back or front?

Duncan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin