Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,484   Posts: 1,644,624   Online: 1092

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    Do you have any idea where the drains are in the house? It may be possible to use a grey water pump to boost the water to an overhead line if one can be found within a reasonable distance. My darkroom is plumbed like that and the pump lifts the water 11 feet to an overhead drain line coming from the washer on the main floor overhead. It's pretty easy to cut and patch in a tee joint if it's a plastic pipe.
    I hope you put a check-valve on that line, so as not to get any back flow from the washer into your darkroom, also keeps any water remaining in the line from draining back.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    Do you have any idea where the drains are in the house? It may be possible to use a grey water pump to boost the water to an overhead line if one can be found within a reasonable distance. My darkroom is plumbed like that and the pump lifts the water 11 feet to an overhead drain line coming from the washer on the main floor overhead. It's pretty easy to cut and patch in a tee joint if it's a plastic pipe.
    Only one floor so no overhead pipes.

r
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The other issue with a self-contained sump pump pumping to an overhead drain line (like in a basement) is you should really tie the sump pump into the main stack vent, which is usually a pain in the ass. You can probably use a popper type vent though they are sometimes not recommended. Thinking of something like a Saniflow unit here.

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    rc paper was created for very fast wash times.
    as matt said, it takes no time at all to do a short rinse.
    instead of a dish rack, string a close line, twine, framers wire or ??
    and get some clothes pins.
    it isn't hard to do darkroom work without running water.
    just do 5 print "runs" and then a wash/fix/wash fix remove final wash.
    use fixer remover to reduce your wash times, and soak your prints and films
    to leach the fix out.

have fun!
    john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In my second story darkroom I hook a garden hose to my homemade sink's drain and run the hose down the wall (there were already boiler pipes there so I didnt even have to drill) out the garage window below the darkroom and out into the yard. This was only for wash/rinse water-I dispose of chemicals elsewhere. It helps to have a yard, if you live in an apartment this probably wont help. I did this year round. The ice pond that develops is usually under a lot of snow anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For the waste, something like this: http://www.saniflo.co.uk/ can pump it to a drain through small bore pipe.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    I faced the same situation as yours as my darkroom is a couple of metres under the sewage pipe of the house. And is about 20 feet from it.
    I bought a PVC box made of a section of 400 mm tubing closed at one end with a PVC hot welded plate. Into this box I put a submersible pump with an automatic level sensor to start and stop the pump. My sink drains into this box and when the level of the water reach the treshold the pump starts. It flushes the water into PVC pressure pipe (which looks like plain pipe, just a little bigger and plastic) which goes to the sewage pipe. As the tubing has to follow the walls, it is about 50 feet long and the pump has no problem putting the water that high or far.
    I'm very satisfied with my setup, the only drawback is that I jump every time the pump start because it is a bit noisy in my super silence environment when I process sheet filp in the dark....
    Hope this helps
    P.S. feel free to ask me the reference of the pump or other information you need.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You don't really need running water for the "dark" part of processing film and printing although it is more convenient. You could wash film and prints in another room that has running water and a drain. My first darkroom was in a room with no water or drain. I did the washing in our kitchen -- it worked. Fortunately I now have a "real" darkroom.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Is the darkroom in the basement? In mine, I ran plastic tubing from the sink drain fittings to the floor drain on the other side of the wall. I connect my FB print washer to the laundry tub faucet & it's drain line goes into the cleanout about 3 ft away.

Shooter
    35mm
    I leave RC soaking in water for up to an hour and have no trouble, but I always trim my print edges off before final mounting anyway.
    f/22 and be there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin