Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,273   Online: 879

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Darkroom with running water, no drain

The room I have planned for my darkroom has at the moment electricity and heat. That's good. What's missing is water in and out.
    Getting water in would not be a big problem. On the other side of a drywall I have both hot and cold water pipes. Couple of holes, some fittings ... no problem.
    But drainage is a bigger problem. No obviuos way to hook up a drain.
    So are there any standard solutions for this particular problem? A big tank under the sink? Something else?
    Advice pls.

r
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Water is heavy and a pain in the rear to have to shlepp around. I know, as my first darkroom was in a garage and I carried water out to it in 5 gal containers. Easy to get rid of, though: just pour it outside. Your's is a similar problem. If there's just no way to drain the water to a sump or other existing drain, then you'll have to save it in a container of some sort and carry it out. Water's heavy: about 5 gal. US (19 liters,) is heavy enough for repeated carrying I think; or at least, it was for me. I'd advise washing somewhere with running water and a drain, since that's where most of the water usage comes from.

Is there some way to run a pipe outside the room? Perhaps you could use a submersible pump to pump it from a storage container, maybe through a hose?

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Fish tank pump, pump it back through the wall to what i presume is a sink on the other side of the drywall, or mount your darkroom sink higher and let gravity do the work?
    Last edited by Craig Swensson; 03-09-2010 at 02:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: poor use of lanuage- hey its english!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They make little self-contained sump-with-a-pump setups for basement sinks and washing machines. Like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Of course you still need somewhere to put the water you're pumping out, but is there a sink on the other side of that wall along with the water pipes? You could just pump it into there maybe? More cheaply, you could just use the 5 gallon bucket idea, but with a little pump to get rid of the water as needed, instead of lugging the bucket.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have this additional problem called winter. Half the year I can not dump water outside as it will freeze.
    I know you can leave FB-paper in a water bath and wash them later. What about RC? My experience is that an RC paper left in water will start to come apart at the corners. So that means I can not wash an RC-paper later. Or can I?

r

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    I have this additional problem called winter. Half the year I can not dump water outside as it will freeze.
    I know you can leave FB-paper in a water bath and wash them later. What about RC? My experience is that an RC paper left in water will start to come apart at the corners. So that means I can not wash an RC-paper later. Or can I?

r
    RC paper can be rinsed for a few (30?) seconds in a water bath and then allowed to air dry in something like a dish draining rack. Then, at the end of your session, you can wash the RC again for one to two minutes, and use the rack to dry it for good.

Just be sure to change the water bath regularly.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
    Fish tank pump, pump it back through the wall to what i presume is a sink on the other side of the drywall, or mount your darkroom sink higher and let gravity do the work?
    Unfortunately the room on the other side is a heating central. Has piping but no drainage

r

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That would be unusual to have no drain at all. Where does the condensation from the airconditioning go? Where does the emergency pressure release valve on the water heater send its output? Usually wherever there is water, there is at least some sort of floor drain to handle such things.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    That would be unusual to have no drain at all. Where does the condensation from the airconditioning go? Where does the emergency pressure release valve on the water heater send its output? Usually wherever there is water, there is at least some sort of floor drain to handle such things.

Duncan
    You might be right. Have to check that. Thank you. But no airconditioning. Only a heating central with a big heat exchanger.

r

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have any idea where the drains are in the house? It may be possible to use a grey water pump to boost the water to an overhead line if one can be found within a reasonable distance. My darkroom is plumbed like that and the pump lifts the water 11 feet to an overhead drain line coming from the washer on the main floor overhead. It's pretty easy to cut and patch in a tee joint if it's a plastic pipe.
    Gary Beasley

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin