Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,575   Online: 895

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear cyberspider,

In addition to the above, avoid toning in living spaces.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Taking the original question in a context I think it was meant to be taken (which I am assuming basic B&W work without exotic processing or toning)....

There is nothing in basic BW chemicals that are dangerous or risky in a sense that touch or smell in duration that will take to complete the process will cause explosions, illness, or death. If you consume large amount such as eating or drinking them, or, if you are somehow sensitive to the particular chemical component, you may have problems but that is true to just about anything. Typical household chemicals such as toilet bowl cleaner, bleach, hair sprays, nail removers, paint thinners, and rubbing alcohols are far more risky.

Is it smelly? Not really. Developers I use are almost scent-less. Stop bath smells like vinegar. Fixer smells like very light acid. I also do some processing in a bathroom. A quick wipe will eliminate all traces of chemicals for me.

However, basic precaution is warranted. For example.... I never bring any food or drink into darkroom for I may mistaken chemical bottles in careless and mindless moment. I always clean up after working. I never use containers that could be mistaken for anything else for storage. While there is no children in a house, there is one dummy I cannot eliminate. ME!

Even now, area high schools and middle school actually teach and let students process films and prints.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    i thought it was a bit odd well i have been looking into darkroom tents
    i have looked at photos i think it would be easy to make
    Leave nothing but footprints.Kill nothing but time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Years ago I made a few prints in fresh chem one night, thought it would be OK to leave chem in trays for next day.
    Next day I was offered the opportunity of an extended trip on short notice and left right away.
    When I got back the white walls of my bathroom/darkroom were covered in brown stain - had to clean it all off & redecorate.
    Another lesson learned the hard way.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    A drain is good if you have to pee
    A wise man...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The past year and a half I split my darkroom up -- enlarger in the bedroom, processing in the bathroom next door. Just use a light-tight bag or box to transfer prints over. It worked really well and not really a hassle (of course, I lived alone so didn't need to worry if someone needed to use the bathroom). This was a standard practice in the university darkroom that I first started in, where we all had our own little darkrooms for printing, but most of us walked down the hallway to put our prints in the processor for RC prints.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    If there's no running water there's no need for a drain

Ian

Ian, I know of some die hards (good for them) who carry the water into the DR for processing.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin