Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,971   Online: 1029

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have moved a few long things in a small vehicle. If you have the center of gravity inside and tie it down well; there should not be a problem. Use lots of padding to protect it.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I think I am just going to have to contact KHB on Monday and see what they say in terms of instructions and sizes. If the machine is 8 feet tall and breaks into two equal pieces, then it will fit, since I have 5 feet to work with inside the vehicle. I know the top half comes off since KHB sells a tabletop conversion kit, but I don't know what tools I will need to use to take apart the linkage and such.
    I don't think you'll need to do that, Greg - as per my earlier comment on the situation. Keep the mechanically linked pieces together... the base I think is totally separate. Just keep the column with the table bracket assembly etc and you should be good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have a trailer hitch. To get one and have it installed and rent a trailer will cost close to a van rental. I looked into that, too. Unfortunately, if I can't find a way to break it down for transport, I won't be able to get it at all. And I would really hate to lose it because of that.
    Maybe things have changed but you use to be able to have a rental hitch attached to your vehicular along with the rental trailer. It would only be a fraction of the trailer rental and a lot cheaper if you only occasionally need to use a trailer hitch.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    They don't rent the hitches anymore, you have to buy them.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Taking it apart is not that difficult. Did that when I picked mine up from a large lab that was moving out some older gear. One caution is that you do need to secure the neg stage/lightbox section to the bottom of the top half. I used webbing tie downs with cam buckles. Make sure it's secure or else the springs will rocket the stage up the column and if any body part is n the way...major ouch. Did this to make transport and re-assembly easier otherwise you may not have room to install it and then you have to pull the stage back down anyhow.

I brought it all home in one go I believe. The head comes off easily as does the drop table. Not sure if the base came off as well. Overall, it's doable. It also just fit in my basement between the floor joists and needed maybe 7' and change with head all the way up.

Can dig up the illustrations where the top and bottom section attach if I have it. Just makes sure all the bolts are labelled so you'll know where they go and if you have a digi p/s, use that to record the disassembly. You can get manuals from KHB as well.

Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Greg,

I moved a De Vere 507 in the back of a Laguna (a moderate sized saloon car with a hatchback) by splitting the enlarger in two, so I reckon you should be able to get the 5108 in an SUV.

Here are my instructions for doing the job.

First off, to take the light box off, it is easiest to wind the negative carriage down to the bottom of its track. Make sure you lock off the negative and lens carriages before removing the head. This is performed using the two locking knobs at either side of the main column. If you do not do this the head will shoot up, and if it catches you on the chin it will lay you out. The head is secured by a clip on a spring at the back.

Once the head is off I found it most convenient to run the neg carriage back up to the top of the column, this keeps it out of the way when disassembling the column from the pedestal. To do this, take a firm grip of the neg carriage, and ease off the locking knobs. You will feel as the springs start to pull the carriage up, just keep a firm grip and let it ease up, it is a strong movement, but easy to control if you keep a firm grip. Once at the top of the column just tighten the locking knobs to keep them in place. By the way, do not try to control the spring of the neg carriage mechanism by holding the adjustment handles under the baseboard, the action will probably be too strong for you to control the rise, and if you get a thumb or finger caught in there, you will probably do yourself some damage!

Next remove the baseboard. This is fastened to the baseboard frame by four wing-nuts. Before you undo these, lower the baseboard a couple of notches by pulling the central lever under the baseboard toward you and press down on the baseboard. Once you have pushed it down a foot or so let the lever back in and ease the baseboard up, and the lever should engage with one of the holes in the pedestal, giving some room to play with when removing the board.

Unless you are really stuck for space when transporting the enlarger, do not remove the baseboard support. There is no way to disconnect the control handles, and you will be left with these dangling in a rather vulnerable way when you move the pedestal.

The pedestal has a pair of chains used to transmit the movement of the control knobs to the control wires in the enlarger column. These are not really fixed in any way. There are a pair of bolts in the back of the pedestal at the height where the column sits upon it. Wind these in as far as they will go (but don't force them right in if they get too stiff), this will support the top pulley of the chain mechanism when you remove the column.

Next to remove the column. You will require a set of hex keys, as most of the structural bolts have hex heads.

The drive to the column mechanism is transmitted through two special bolts that you will see at the bottom, on either side of the column (they are on the two wings of the T-bar at the bottom of the column). Undo these and keep them safe. This disconnects the two drive mechanisms.

The bar and support plates for the transtab and timer is then removed by undoing the large bolts holding it to the pedestal. This exposes three of the nuts that must be removed to disconnect the column from the pedestal.

Remove those three hex nuts on the horizontal plate at the back of the column which attach it to the pedestal, in addition to these, there are four hex nuts on the vertical front plate of the column. Remove the lower two of these. The column should now be disconnected, and can be removed. I was actually very surprised at how well balanced the column on the 507 was. One person can easily handle this. Though if you have a friend to help, it is easier. Put the hex nuts back in there places to keep them safe.

You now have the enlarger ready for transport, reassembly is just the reverse of this procedure.

If for any reason the chains on the drives in the pedestal do come off the pulley system, the cover panels on the pedestal legs all come off so it would be easy enough to re-engage the chains for the drives.

As I said it is a relatively straightforward job. You could probably handle it yourself (I did with the 507), but if you have a friend to help, it is fairly quick and easy.

If you have any other questions please ask, and if I remember anything else I will let you know.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you really want it, you should just go and get it. Take some tools and if possible, take out any seats you don't need. Once you are there, you will find a way of getting it in the car!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks, everybody. I should be able to get everything figured out once I see it in person. Can anyone give me a rough length of each half? Once the seats are out, I will have just over 5 feet from front to back. This should be enough, but I want to double check.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, everybody. I should be able to get everything figured out once I see it in person. Can anyone give me a rough length of each half? Once the seats are out, I will have just over 5 feet from front to back. This should be enough, but I want to double check.
    If I remember correctly, the column is slightly longer than the pedestal at a bit less than 5 foot or so. Being much narrower than the pedestal it can be stowed at an angle. It certainly went in to the back of my car without any problems, and I have around 5 foot with the seats folded down.

My problem was with the pedestal. The car being a saloon, I wasn't able to get the pedestal in without disconnecting the baseboard frame (it had to go in feet first, and the baseboard frame and control wheels would catch the rear windscreen ). With an SUV I don't think you will have any problem with that, and the pedestal will probably fit in one piece, the baseboard frame is only around 2ft square.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    As a side note, this particular machine is missing the actual baseboard. The frame is there, though. Since it seems to just be a matter of four bolts holding down a replacement, I may build a 30x40 inch vacuum easel to replace the original board.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin