Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,244   Posts: 1,680,241   Online: 990

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    I put the enlarger in an alcove (with a light table beside) and am planning to close it with curtains or a door. But I am still concerned about dust floating around in the air.
    /matti
    And one for the dryer and washer when you ARE down there might be of use as well.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dryer Lint and cat fur are always a battle here. I've built an air cleaner from a surplus boxer-fan and hepa filter, which helps greatly. When I'm cooking/pouring emulsions and cannot tolerate any dust/lint/fluff, it's done inside a table-top 'tent' made from plastic drop-cloth, with the filtered air entering from the top. Enlarger is kept covered, damp wipes handy and lots of canned-air.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an 'overflow' darkroom. The darkroom is 5x9, so when I print larger than 11x14 I put a couple of boards on the washer and dryer and lay out the 16x20 trays there. The dryer is not matched to the washer, so it sits on pieces of plywood ,and is leveled to make it's top the same elevation as the washer.

I also have a second enlarger on a bench in the laundry, and a bench beside the wash tub that is used to place a large wash tray where the tray syphon hangs into the sink, and is also the camera bench for a polaroid copy camera and its lights.

Beside the furnace (also in the laundry room) is another low bench which has a UV box on it, and a densitometer on top of that.

There is still room to move, but just. The floor is concrete and painted with a floor grade grey paint. I vacuum the top of the ducts that are open in the laundry (basement, no finished ceiling) about once a year, and the floor and top of benches about every other month. There is an in room air filter that I try to run the day before if I can plan ahead that I am going to be using the space for darkroom use.

The vacuum is a central unit that has its power unit mounted in the garage, so nothing that gets sucked up gets directly recirculated by blowing though the filter.

The furnace fan runs about 8 months of the year where I live, either in heating or A/c season. I put a conventional fibre filter in the cold air return upstream of an electronic air cleaner, and change that filter twice a year, or after any home reno job that involves more than re-painting. The electronic air cleaner cells get pulled once a year, and put in the bath tub to soak in a weak solution of dish wash detergent. Even if the cells look clean the water is very grey after a bit of agitation, so there obviously small particles clinging to the cells plates. I but them back into service and run the furnace with the cleaner power turned off for half a day so the plates can dry before the HV power gets applied to them again.

To keep dust at bay we don't use fabric softener in the washer, and put half a bounce sheet in the dryer so the dust does not get too fly away. The dryer filter gets pulled gently, and emptied inside the garbage can, not over the dryer.

So the long answer, is , yes the laundry can work, and with a bit of regular maintenance dust, even that generated from the dryer and furnace, can be conquered.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you can separate the enlarger from the dryer (in particular) it will make the most difference.

Having the washer and dryer share space with the wet side of your darkroom probably won't matter.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all. It sounds interesting to try some sort of air filter. We don't use a dryer, but just hang dry the laundry. So I suppose the manual handling of the clothes will be the main dust source. I plan on wet wiping everything and maybe hose down the floor before starting, to get both humidity and to not kick up dust while I walk around. Problem is, with two kids, we seem to be washing laundry all the time.
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a cement floor, you might want to seal it or paint it first, or lay linoleum/vinyl flooring down to reduce the dust of a cement floor.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you, that is a good remark. I already planned to paint it but I can see that a smoother surface also is easier to keep clean.
    /matti

If the ceiling is uncovered rafters, cover it. Garbage bags and staples will do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have used a laundry room. One thing I did to eliminate dust was to have a spray bottle near the dryer and as I removed the lint filter after each load I would spray it with the water. The wet lint peels off in a nice clump and does not release a cloud of lint and dust into the air every time you clean it.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just vacuum before I use the darkroom, it gets rid of most of the dust, but it is an issue you just have to take extra care

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin