Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,764   Posts: 1,484,073   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Laundry room/dark room

After more then a year without a dark room, finally we have some progress renovating the basement. Soon I will have a new dark room and life will have a meaning again :-).

It will be much better than the old one, with my new Durst L1200, a zink, running water, etc.

Only problem is it will also be the laundry room, with a washing machine and even cloths drying there. I know this is not ideal, due to dust from the clothes. But it is my only option. Will this be a major problem? What can I do to minimize the dust issues? I apreciate any hints on how to make it work.

I really hope I can make this work, since I can not find a reason to use my cameras without a dark room to print the pictures in.

/matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As for the dust issue. A plastic cover for the will go a long way in prevent dust from going into the enlarger when you're not using it. Good luck with your darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I put the enlarger in an alcove (with a light table beside) and am planning to close it with curtains or a door. But I am still concerned about dust floating around in the air.
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My darkroom is also my laundry room. The enlargers are about as far from the dryer as they can be (about 8-10 feet). I try to keep the room clean and use wet wipes around the laundry area and mop the floor overall (it's cement). It's not perfect, but I don't have too huge a problem with dust on my prints and negs.
    Also, it helps to clean the day before instead of the day you use it. This way, the dust can settle.
    I insist (not always successfully) that clothes not be left in the room. The main problem with this is that I have a wooden rack for drying the hang to dry items and no other place in the house for it. So those things stay in the room until dry. I also use the rack to hold my drying screens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a while I used my laundry room as my darkroom.
    I used to remove the enlarger between sessions which was fine until I got an Omega D5.

I would do my sessions the day before laundry. I would partially fill the laundry sink with water beforehand and go around the room with a wet cloth to remove dust.

I can't say I had a huge problem with dust, cat and dog hairs are another story though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My darkroom was the laundry room for many years, and I had no more problems with dust there than I do now with the darkroom in my new house, which is separate from the laundry room. The laundry room tended to be more humid than the rest of the basement, maybe that helped to keep the dust down, especially in the winter. I always made sure the laundry was finished and clothes removed the day before I was planning to use the darkroom. That sometimes kept me up late on a Friday night.

Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Be sure the enlarger is grounded.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same here, the dark/laundry room also houses the two freezers and the hot water tank. I just vacuum the day before, central vac, so no dust exhaust and wipe down with a damp rag. Old shirts make good dust covers for the two enlargers and they are washable along with the darkroom towels. Biggest problem is cat hair from the two fur balls, makes a clean shirt and jeans mandatory.

Those bright colourful 2'x2' kids interlocking playmats are way nicer than concrete or a tiled floor

3M high efficiency air filters are the way to go if you have forced air heating/cooling.

When in college, my first home darkroom was in mom`s laundry room.

I made lots of nice prints on an Omega B3 with no filter drawer, Kodak Polycontrast or DuPont Varilour paper, Plus X Pan, Microdol 1:3, or Rodinal.

so it can be done, but I know nothing of water and air filters and learned to spot prints well.

I also had a darkroom at college in the photoclub. Omega D2V and a big 3 foot diameter drum dryer. All the Purdue dorms had a set up like this. I wonder if they are still there 50 years later.

Maybe in the next home you can improve. I have a clean efficient modern darkroom now and computers, scanners, and printers and digital cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can always run an air purifier, the inexpensive ones that just pull air through a HEPA filter. I run one, and my dusting is at a bare minimum. As Anscojohn says, make sure your enlarger is grounded, and maybe even run a humidifier, especially in winter.

Rick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin