Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,168   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Never Give Up - Dev Tank Opened Accidentally

Last week I was trying to rush through a roll at lunchtime, and after finally getting the hang of spooling Rollei Pan25 in the dark, when I went to add water for the presoak, I opened the top of the tank just long enough to see the spool before I slammed the lid back on.

The room was pretty sunny, and I was close to tossing the roll in the garbage. I continued on mostly as I obviously need more practice at this.

I was surprised that I had images, and a couple were good (by my admittedly low standards). I am sure if this was a fast film I would have been done for, and maybe those new low UV transmission windows helped a bit.

Here is an example of one that still had some usable image even though a bit got blasted, and one that survived mostly intact. More images on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/ieblog/...7623540717077/ (all those labeled Rollei Pan25 were exposed to this particular error).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Great Falls RolleiPan25 DevError-22.jpg   Great Falls RolleiPan25 DevError-30.jpg  
    Last edited by Randy_Va; 03-21-2010 at 08:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had students manage every possible screw-up developing film and it always surprises me just how many times they'll get useable negs. I've made my share of screw-ups too, like pouring stock Indicator stop in a tank.

As slow as ISO 25 seems sometimes when shooting that little nip sure does show.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeez, I wish I had a dollar for every oops I've done. I did a similar boo-boo a couple of months ago. I went to pop the small lid off my tank, and the large one came up instead. It pays to hold lids when opening stainless tanks, the little guys stick ocassionally.

Rick

Never work under pressure or you screw up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't need pressure to screw up. Just forget you had spooled some 135 onto spools and left them in the tank until you come back a couple of weeks later. OOPS!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always stick a piece of gaffer tape from the lid to the tank whenever there is film in the tank, and I always remove the tape and place it over the little cap when there is not. Kind of like a dark slide code (silver or black side).

White gaffer tape is good, 'cause you can write notes on it. Sometimes I will load up a few tanks and/or load them up to be precessed at a later time. The notes help for this.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just makes you realize how bright it needs to be to expose 25 ASA film...
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Just makes you realize how bright it needs to be to expose 25 ASA film...
    And how bright you need to be to not....

Shooter
    35mm
    For a bit I thought I was only bright enough for a camera phone.

Although as with everything it seems I need to make every possible mistake at least once.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I always stick a piece of gaffer tape from the lid to the tank whenever there is film in the tank...
    THANKS!!!
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin