Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,085   Online: 1093

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Need a better system for lack of space

I do not have a lot of time to process film. Once in a blue moon is about it. Because of this I do not have room to mess up. We have only one bathroom that can be blacked out enough to use, and the family understands. The problem is it is really small. The space is cramped and I am not a small person. I run into things, knock them over, and generally get pretty frustrated. Back in the good ol' days JOBO systems where the price of gold. Now they are better but used. Would it be a bad idea to invest in one? I worry about the lack of parts, but a rotary system would take the frustration away. There are none on craigs list near me so I would be relying on the bay.

What are the thoughts of those who have them?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mark, this may not answer your question, but, If you’re only developing film, why not get a daylight changing bad. Load the film onto the reels, put them in the tank and develop with the lights on.
    I used to load the film on the kitchen table and develop the film in the bathroom. That worked for roll film. If you are talking about sheet film, maybe check out the Combi Plan tank. It’s $86.00 at Freestyle. I’ve seen them on The Bay also. Good luck.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used a Combiplan (sheet film) and Jobo tanks (rollfilm) with changing bag for about two years, and developed in my kitchen with results that seemed OK. It was an easy way, and convenient enough at least for me.

The shower makes a ice place to dry film, so I (still) develop in the evening and hang the film to dry overnight.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mark,
    Have a look around for a CPE2 Plus, shouldn't cost the earth. Film and prints in drums. A simple machine electronic wise and a pretty good water bath. When you wish to print set up the bath room and go for it. All processing done in room light. If you wish to up size the CPE2 plus will allow you to process up to 4 x 5 film and if I remember about a 11x14 or 16x20 print, (don't quote me).
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have a space problem, I don't think a Jobo would be a good solution, even a CPE. My darkroom is a small bathroom that I took over, but I still don't have enough space to leave my CPE set up all the time.
    Most likely, you would be better off with a changing bag or tent for loading, then a daylight tank for roll films, or a Combiplan or Jobo tank and reel for sheet film.

Images
    Missing information from the original post: (Should have included this last night.)

I am developing 8x10 and 5x7 sheets of film. God only knows where my unicolor drums went after our move two years ago, but the unicolor drums always gave me problems with uneven development on 8x10. I do not need to leave the unit set up all the time. Hauling it from another room is not a problem.

Are there any other rotary parts out there outside of unicolor and Jobo.

I need consistency above everything else.

When I did roll film a dark bag and a tank were all I needed. As usual, when the size of the film increases so do all of the parts needed to develope.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Mark,

I would second the daylight changing bag. In addition to loading processing reels, I use a changing bag to bulk load a 100' roll while watching a half hour TV program. Of course a Jobo system takes care of a lot of other issues (I have one as well), but if you develop so seldom it hardly seems worth it.

Neal Wydra

Images
    I don't shoot BW Roll film. BW Roll film needs to be enlarged, enlarging accentuates grain, grain is ugly (IMO). I shoot BW sheet film 5x7 and 8x10 to make contact prints.

Color film I use rolls but don't process my own.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Mark, I shoot a great deal of 5x7 and 8x10. I use a Jobo CPP-2 and Jobo expert drums to develop the film. If consistency is your goal, then Jobo is your answer. The processor (not filled with water) weighs a lot less than a bag of dog food. So if you can carry a bag of dog food, you would be able to move the Jobo from store room to bathroom/darkroom.

Another option would be to get the expert drum for 5x7/8x10 and then use the drum on the roller base. It requires you to manually roll the drum. But, it would take up very little space.

Also, I have heard of photographers here on APUG using the Bessler roller bases with Jobo tubes. I have not done this, but if you do a search, you should come up with relevant threads.

I saw a Jobo CPP-2 sell on fle-bay yesterday for $535 with 3 print tube (including the big 20x24 tube). Last year, I bought one on the LF forum for $600--no tubes included. The prices on CPP-2s seem to have come down from several years ago, but you have to be careful. Try to find one with a late model serial number.

You can still buy new tubes from on-line stores. The prices on fle-bay seem to be high for expert drums, near new prices. Occasionally one will sell for a good price, but you have to be patient.

Another option would be to use BTZS tubes. Check with Fred Newman at the View Camera Store (online). He used to sell these. You could set up you trays over the bath tub or stacked on a counter. Storage size is minimal.

Images
    I have considered the BTZS tubes and built some. I had inconsistent development. One set perfect, next set not. . I have tried the welding tubes maybe that would be a better idea. Don't know. I thought the JOBO would give me consistent results all the time. Tube and alternate roller might be A plan. Can you fill an expert drum outside a Jobo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin