Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,775   Posts: 1,516,672   Online: 1151

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

which 400 film for architecture ?

Hi,
    any thoughts on which 400 film for architecture. I gather a sharp one, like Delta 400 ?

Commend are welcome.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you know the joke that when you ask 2 lawyers you will get 3 opinions?

Shooter
    35mm
    I should, as I am one....

anyway: the more the better

Shooter
    Medium Format
    400TMY processed in dilute Xtol will give great tones, good sharpness, and fine grain.

Someone will now surely chime in to tell you why I am completely full of sh*t, and offer his/her own recipe.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Probably Delta or Tmax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I won't be the one who says that Mike's full of it. If you really need a 400 speed B&W film, you can't really do much better than TMY-2. Don't get me wrong, Delta 400 is pretty darned good too, but I just like TMY-2 better. Could it be because I'm more familiar with the way it works? You bet, but that's not the only reason. I like it because it has the ability to capture detail over a very wide brightness range and has a grain structure as good or better than some films that are two stops slower. Obviously, TMX will have even finer grain and even more resolving power; but the point is mostly moot. Grain only begins to show up with really huge magnification when viewed at normal distances. The film's resolving power is usually greater than what the lens is able to deliver.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stock answer: It depends on what you want your architectural pix to look like. There is usually no one film that is best for any one application. There are, however, films that are better or worse at meeting named criteria.

My personal answer: For most daytime b/w architecture pix that I would do for my own work, I would probably use Rollei IR400, if the budget allowed. I would even use this film over any slower film, in most situations. It is sharp and contrasty, and due to its extended spectral sensitivity, can be highly tweaked with filters.

So, what are the criteria for your pix to be a success in your eyes, what format are you using, and how large will your prints be? Black and white or color? (I assume b/w, since you mentioned a b/w film.)

Off the top of my head, there are:

b/w:

Kodak Tri-X 400
    Kodak Tri-X 320 (discontinued, but still available in retail locations and through various Internet sources)
    Kodak T-Max 400
    Kodak BW400CN
    Ilford HP5
    Ilford Delta 400
    Ilford XP2 Super
    Fuji Neopan 400
    Fomapan 400
    Rollei IR 400

color negative:

Kodak Portra 400NC and 400VC
    Kodak 400UC
    Kodak Gold 400
    Fuji Pro 400H
    Fuji Superia 400

color transparency:

Fuji Provia 400X
    Fuji Sensia 400
    Kodak Elite chrome 400
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-23-2010 at 05:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll put in another vote for TMY - I've shot quite a bit of architectural work with it and have always been pleased. That being said I now typically lean toward a slower speed of film. TMY is nice to use though, I agree and I find the 'edge sharpness' (or however you might say it) to really lend itself to sky-scraper lines. I've always developed it in Rodinal so I don't have much input on what the best developer would be...except to say that I've been happy with 400 TMY & Rodinal at 1:50.

Best of luck!
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

TMY 2 is a nice film which I use for 35mm and larger.

I develope in D76 1:1 for 10 min and it prints on #2 paper with a condenser enlarger. Add 10% for a diffusion enlarger and additional 10% for sheet film agitated 10sec/60sec.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Frank Schifano said it better/more conscisely than I could.

TMY-2 has gotten nothing but rave reviews, from even a cursory examination. I've shot a few rolls and have been impressed too - and my usual film is Pan-F+.

Also: I figure John Sexton knows what he's talking about.
    http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/pres...09/10940/11792

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin