Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,480   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Going insane trying to load some very old 620 film.

Hi.

I have some very old Plenachrome 620 that I'm trying to load and it simply won't load. I have tried multiple reels, both ends, cut the very tips off, etc and it still won't load. It gets hung up after a turn or two and loses track.

The film is extremely curled.

It is also very fragile.

Any ideas?

Load it base down?

I have this loader thing called a "Lasagna reel" which is for 35mm only but it may provide enough spacing to let the chemistry flow between. Good/bad idea?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How important are the shots on the roll? I think that is what will determine if the plastic "lasagna" sheath is a good idea or not. It should load onto a plastic Paterson type cheater reels. I find that if I kind of crimp/curl the end 1/4 to 3/8th inch (reverse curl) I can then load very badly curled film onto the plastic cheater reels. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about one of those plastic aprons like Kodak use to sell. Freestyle has current ones available now.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tried two separate Paterson type plastic reels and that didn't jive...I figured that'd be the best way to try it...I also tried your suggestion of crimping the ends to no avail. So now I got it cooking in a lasagna reel/scotch tape contraption..we shall wee..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could try the old see-saw method in trays of chemical. We used to do that in ye olden dayz. Pre-wet the film by see-sawing in a tray of water; then developer; stop. Fix. Total darkness, of course.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some tricks that might work but are last ditch efforts:

Soak the film in water for about 5 minutes at 68F (20C) until the curl relaxes. Then, gently feed it onto the reel underwater. You have to use a large washbasin or sink for this as the film must remain wet.

Soak film as above. Put clips at each end of the wet film. Hold film in a "U" shape holding one clip in each hand and having the emulsion down. Place bottom of "U" in developer and by raising and lowering your hands alternately the film will see saw back and forth in the developer. Use slightly more than normal development times and make sure that you get the ends in the developer. This is the way we used to do it before film tanks were invented.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    If it is one film only it might not be worth the expense but there's a lot to be said for film loader attachments which attach to Durst reels. The film goes through the loader which is attached to the outside of the reel and then attachs to the centre of the reel under a spring clip Once there the film is wound into the reel and has to straighten as it goes through the loader and onto the reel. No more fiddling required.

I have had problems with standard 120 at times feeding it onto a Jobo tank by hand. If a film is particularly curly then my Durst loader, reel and tank is the alternative.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well the lasagna reel worked but unfortunately the roll was cleared. I have another roll to develop so I'll try all these previous tips in case this other roll is problematic (assuredly it is!).

Thanks for all the tips!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    You could try the old see-saw method in trays of chemical. We used to do that in ye olden dayz. Pre-wet the film by see-sawing in a tray of water; then developer; stop. Fix. Total darkness, of course.
    I used to see that done on old spy movies when I was a kid. I think that had more influance on my need to work in a darkroom than anything.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format

dip and dunk

Dip and dunk the film with your hands, being careful to gently keep the leaves separated during agitation. Of course, total darkness will be required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin